Advice re: JCB credit card payment issue on overseas site

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Hedgehog

Advice re: JCB credit card payment issue on overseas site

Post by Hedgehog »

I've had credit cards in Japan for decades and never had any problems until this past week. I've encountered a tricky situation and any advice on how to move forwards would be most welcome. Last week I bought an airline ticket online, using my JCB card, with a major overseas flag carrier. Although the payment went through (2FA from JCB, email notification of successful payment), there was a website error, the ticket wasn't issued, and the airline's customer support call centre has proven pretty useless in even acknowledging there is an issue, let alone how/when they will refund the money. JCB is saying that as the payment has been made it is up to me to sort things out with the merchant (airline) and that I will have to pay up the full amount, which has now been billed to my credit card, when my next statement is issued.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with this kind of thing? I attach a screenshot from the help section of the JCB site (in JP) as to what they do in cases like this (not much, to be honest, but I do have copies of correspondence I've received from the airline). I'm wondering whether because I have now had some limited (albeit unhelpful) contact with the airline, JCB will wash their hands of the issue if the airline ultimately refuses to give me my money back, even though it was their website error which appears to be the cause of all this hassle.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has insights or experience to share.
Attachments
JCB.jpg
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Advice re: JCB credit card payment issue on overseas site

Post by Tkydon »

It does say that you should contact and process with the vendor, in this case the airline.
If the airline has acknowledged their error, then they should refund the money to the card.
I can see no reason why they would not.
If they do not, then you can investigate whether the JCB insurance covers the payment and make an insurance claim.

See this page regarding JCB Insurance
https://www.jcb.co.jp/service/safe-secu ... index.html
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Thank you for your reply, Tkydon.
Just to clarify: The airline is yet to acknowledge after a week that the transaction in question even took place, hence my investigating what other options might be available if things don't work out.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

This has happened to me previously with an Apple store purchase (of a Macbook!) and it took a few calls to Apple for them to find the charge they made on my card and get it reversed. It had to go to some kind of finance department in my case.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Hedgehog wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 am Thank you for your reply, Tkydon.
Just to clarify: The airline is yet to acknowledge after a week that the transaction in question even took place, hence my investigating what other options might be available if things don't work out.
You can send them your Credit Card Statement with the Payment Reference on it...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Tkydon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:41 pm
You can send them your Credit Card Statement with the Payment Reference on it...
I have tried that, but the airline in question still claims the payment has not been received and is not in their system. JCB, on the other hand, say the payment request was received from the airline and that they made the payment. I'm out of pocket quite a lot, and don't really know what else I can do. Will discuss again with JCB tomorrow and see if the insurance suggestion you kindly made earlier has legs.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Hedgehog wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:57 am
Tkydon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:41 pm
I have tried that, but the airline in question still claims the payment has not been received and is not in their system. JCB, on the other hand, say the payment request was received from the airline and that they made the payment. I'm out of pocket quite a lot, and don't really know what else I can do. Will discuss again with JCB tomorrow and see if the insurance suggestion you kindly made earlier has legs.
Raise it with the Airline again.
Ask them to check for the payment into the account on the date and time of the transaction, and if necessary ask them to get their accountant to do the financial forensics, as they will have xxxx amount more than they can account for in the account.

Is this a Japanese airline, Asian airline, or one of the big airlines?
And did you purchase the toicket directly from the airline, or through an agent of some kind?

If they refuse to process your request, you may want to engage a lawyer to send a request on your behalf, and threaten to start legal proceedings, and that may prompt some action on their side.
:
:

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

It's been quite a saga, but JCB have now taken over following a final communication from the airline (to me) in which they said that they had not received the money. JCB has accepted all the facts and evidence I have provided and will refund my money in due course. I'll come back here and give more details once the whole thing is settled. The airline is a national flag carrier, but is not a Japanese one. I'm still flying with them next week, so don't want to put a hex on my trip...
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

In the end, JCB refunded my money in full at the start of November, three months after the initial failed payment. It struck me as a long time for the whole thing to be resolved, but JCB were good about keeping me informed regarding the status of my case. For those who are interested, the airline in question was Turkish Airlines, and while I have no complaints about their aircraft or service, their website still appears to have some technical issues (searching online I have found numerous reports of people who had experienced similar problems to the one I encountered).
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

Sounds like a nightmare. So glad that you were able to work i it out finally!