100th YouTube video Q&A

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: 100th YouTube video Q&A

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:30 am
RetireJapan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:03 pm This is not a question :roll:
Any suggestions for dealing with the bus factor? For both personal finances, and for Retire Japan itself.
Now that is a HUGE question. I am working on it for the family, and making progress, but I was actually thinking about RetireJapan this morning.

I'm going into hospital this week for an operation, so there is a non-zero chance of me not coming out again.

In the long-term, I intend to have a team for RetireJapan, so they would be able to transition the site if something happened to me. Right now, I guess it would just atrophy from the time of my death until the credit cards started bouncing :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:59 am
adamu wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:30 am
RetireJapan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:03 pm This is not a question :roll:
Any suggestions for dealing with the bus factor? For both personal finances, and for Retire Japan itself.
Now that is a HUGE question. I am working on it for the family, and making progress, but I was actually thinking about RetireJapan this morning.

I'm going into hospital this week for an operation, so there is a non-zero chance of me not coming out again.

In the long-term, I intend to have a team for RetireJapan, so they would be able to transition the site if something happened to me. Right now, I guess it would just atrophy from the time of my death until the credit cards started bouncing :?
Password Keepers (Bitwarden) etc. are part of the solution IMO. You S.O only has to know one detailed/complex password. All your important info can be stored in the cloud, encrypted.

I wanted to know though ...if you go the notary route for wills and estates (the middle ground between holographic and lawyer), where is it best to store the will? Some cities have city hall storage, some notaries let you store the will with them it seems? What are the pros and cons?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:07 am I wanted to know though ...if you go the notary route for wills and estates (the middle ground between holographic and lawyer), where is it best to store the will? Some cities have city hall storage, some notaries let you store the will with them it seems? What are the pros and cons?
It's a good question. Sounds like a new thread in the.... dammit, we need a new inheritances/estates section, don't we?

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

I keep my Death Document, which contains all our passwords, in an MS Word password-protected document. A bit old-school maybe. I ask my wife to tell me where it is and what the password is every now and again... it took her a while but I think she's finally got it :)

A bigger question is who else to give the password to? Adult children? Elderly parents? Siblings? Best friend? If a few of us go travelling together then it makes sense for someone outside the group to have access to it.

I keep my will in the house, but it's standard stuff (no complications) so wouldn't be disastrous if it went up in flames or got lost. The Death Document says where it is.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

DieJapan spinoff?

But in all seriousness, good luck for your operation Ben! Looking forward to the 100th video.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:07 am DieJapan spinoff?

But in all seriousness, good luck for your operation Ben! Looking forward to the 100th video.
VisitJapan
ComeJapan
StayJapan
WorkJapan
RetireJapan
DieJapan

I wonder how many of these domains are available? :lol:

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

northSaver wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:04 am I keep my Death Document, which contains all our passwords, in an MS Word password-protected document. A bit old-school maybe. I ask my wife to tell me where it is and what the password is every now and again... it took her a while but I think she's finally got it :)

A bigger question is who else to give the password to? Adult children? Elderly parents? Siblings? Best friend? If a few of us go travelling together then it makes sense for someone outside the group to have access to it.

I keep my will in the house, but it's standard stuff (no complications) so wouldn't be disastrous if it went up in flames or got lost. The Death Document says where it is.
Isn’t it an offence for others to log in to your account using your passwords? I’ve heard numerous times that you should leave account numbers only but definitely not passwords to avoid fraud complications…
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Gareth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:25 am
northSaver wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:04 am I keep my Death Document, which contains all our passwords, in an MS Word password-protected document. A bit old-school maybe. I ask my wife to tell me where it is and what the password is every now and again... it took her a while but I think she's finally got it :)

Isn’t it an offence for others to log in to your account using your passwords? I’ve heard numerous times that you should leave account numbers only but definitely not passwords to avoid fraud complications…
Certainly the case in the UK.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Gareth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:25 am Isn’t it an offence for others to log in to your account using your passwords? I’ve heard numerous times that you should leave account numbers only but definitely not passwords to avoid fraud complications…
Yes, all this is explained in the Death Document. She will have to go through probate to access my personal accounts. The passwords are for my benefit as well as hers, and include our personal accounts and everything else (e.g. Amazon, Netflix, social media, online forums, etc.).
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

northSaver wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:54 am
Gareth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:25 am Isn’t it an offence for others to log in to your account using your passwords? I’ve heard numerous times that you should leave account numbers only but definitely not passwords to avoid fraud complications…
Yes, all this is explained in the Death Document. She will have to go through probate to access my personal accounts. The passwords are for my benefit as well as hers, and include our personal accounts and everything else (e.g. Amazon, Netflix, social media, online forums, etc.).
Well, tbf, we don’t have access to the Death Document :D