Cash out from fund: system to pay taxes?

outhouse_critic

Cash out from fund: system to pay taxes?

Post by outhouse_critic »

Hi,
I cashed out some money from a fund recently and the money was deposited in my bank account. I'm assuming I need to report this to the government for tax purposes; can anyone help in letting me know how to do this? ie, a form to fill out and when I do it?
Thanks in advance. Cheers!
adamu
Sage

Re: Cash out from fund: system to pay taxes?

Post by adamu »

What type of account was it in?
outhouse_critic

Banner Ebisu fund
https://www.bannerassetmanagement.com/o ... come-fund/
A tax-reporting account I would guess.
Thanks, Adamu
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

outhouse_critic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:19 am Banner Ebisu fund
Thanks, Adamu
Looks like that is an overseas fund so it would not be in a "tokutei" account. If that is true you will need to report you capital gain as calculated in yen when you file your tax return for 2023.
outhouse_critic

Thanks for that TokyoWart; I only took out a portion from the fund (2 million yen). I'm not sure at all how I can calculate the actual capital gain amount. Any advice?
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

outhouse_critic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:49 am Thanks for that TokyoWart; I only took out a portion from the fund (2 million yen). I'm not sure at all how I can calculate the actual capital gain amount. Any advice?
You may only be able to make an accurate estimation. This will be good enough.

Look at the overall return on the money you have invested, then calculate what that is for this 2 million portion.
Make a simple doc for submission that says, for example,
1,500,000 invested,
2,000,000 paid out,
= profit of 500,000. This is the part that you need to pay the tax on.
If you have some backup screenshots or something from Banner, that would be helpful in case you get asked to 'show your working'.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I had a similar issue some years ago and we had a wee thread about it!viewtopic.php?t=68
It was a right pain!
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

outhouse_critic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:19 am Banner Ebisu fund
Thanks, Adamu
Please please consider doing an interview with Ben (Retire Japan) anonymously or otherwise about this. I feel a lot of people fall victim to the banners and Argentum Wealth's of the world.
outhouse_critic

beanhead wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:12 am
outhouse_critic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:49 am Thanks for that TokyoWart; I only took out a portion from the fund (2 million yen). I'm not sure at all how I can calculate the actual capital gain amount. Any advice?
You may only be able to make an accurate estimation. This will be good enough.

Look at the overall return on the money you have invested, then calculate what that is for this 2 million portion.
Make a simple doc for submission that says, for example,
1,500,000 invested,
2,000,000 paid out,
= profit of 500,000. This is the part that you need to pay the tax on.
If you have some backup screenshots or something from Banner, that would be helpful in case you get asked to 'show your working'.
Ok, thanks for this. I think I'll be able to get more specific details on the cash out, and possibly how much I earned, but wanted to check in here first to see what the process was. TY.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Every fund I've been involved with has given me a statement of capital gains/losses when I cashed out any portion of my investment but my experience with funds and partnerships has been in the US because of the complications for tax reporting for off shore investment vehicles for US citizens.