Do you have a retirement plan / project?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Do you have a retirement plan / project?

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I will probably retire next year, or at least work very little. You always read about how you should have something to retire to, not just from and while I have some vague travel plans and a few hobby-type things I want to do, I have no major thing I want to focus on. I have no RetireJapan! I think I will be able to stay occupied and happy, but maybe I need to get a more concrete plan in place. So I was wondering if anyone else who is currently or is soon to be retired has any major plans or projects?
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Do you have a retirement plan / project?

Post by Beaglehound »

I don’t think it has to be one major thing. A bit of travel, explore more what hobbies make you happy, if your Japanese is less than perfect see it as an opportunity to improve that (you would be in demand as an exchange conversation/lesson partner). Maybe still teach a bit, but only the stuff you like; I will be in your position in a few years and still think I will teach a bit, but no general English or young kids, only stuff with a purpose, like exams or for tourism.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Beaglehound wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:06 pm I don’t think it has to be one major thing. A bit of travel, explore more what hobbies make you happy, if your Japanese is less than perfect see it as an opportunity to improve that (you would be in demand as an exchange conversation/lesson partner). Maybe still teach a bit, but only the stuff you like; I will be in your position in a few years and still think I will teach a bit, but no general English or young kids, only stuff with a purpose, like exams or for tourism.
Definitely hope to ramp up some Japanese study as it is a never-ending task! I wouldn't mind a bit of teaching but the main reason to retire is actually because in my current set-up taking long vacations is very difficult. About 3 weeks max at a time and even if I only worked one day a week, if they were regular classes I'd still be expected to supply a certain number of classes per year and quite regularly, so lengthy trips would remain hard. I would like to spend some extended periods at home with my ageing parents. I've already cut out all kindergarten classes and most adults, so my teaching load even now isn't so bad.Teaching for tests etc or for a short-term goal would be a possibility.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:53 pm I wouldn't mind a bit of teaching but the main reason to retire is actually because in my current set-up taking long vacations is very difficult.
I've thought about this a lot. One way to square the circle might be to only run courses (6-8 weeks or so). You could have waiting email lists and email them when you wanted to have a couple of teaching months. Once the course is over no further commitment.

I think they would even be more fun as they'd have a sense of purpose and a defined goal.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

To answer the original question, I have RetireJapan 😉

And after seeing how quickly I'm going downhill physically, I am going to need to focus on health and fitness.

I had planned to travel, but some combination of COVID, the weak yen, getting older, and climate change concerns has made that less attractive and it's no longer a goal.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:05 am To answer the original question, I have RetireJapan 😉

And after seeing how quickly I'm going downhill physically, I am going to need to focus on health and fitness.

I had planned to travel, but some combination of COVID, the weak yen, getting older, and climate change concerns has made that less attractive and it's no longer a goal.
Actually, although I still want to travel internationally and spend some time with family, for similar reasons as you many of my travel ambitions are now more domestically based.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:23 pm maybe I need to get a more concrete plan in place
How about writing? You are very good at it :D

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:38 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:23 pm maybe I need to get a more concrete plan in place
How about writing? You are very good at it :D
Very kind of you to say so! I am a bit rusty but might do a bit of that.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

The three 'G' s for anybody?? Golf, Gardening and Grandchildren
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:02 pm The three 'G' s for anybody?? Golf, Gardening and Grandchildren
No
No
Yes

Although I'm likely to see the great and great great grandkids too 😅

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)