Writing a will

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Writing a will

Post by RetireJapan »

The other point is that statuatory heirs *can* legally challenge a will, but they have to choose to do so.

Talking it all out in advance reduces the chance of this happening.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:27 am
Deep Blue wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:12 am It’s a very different system to most of the systems in the West.
France has a similar system I believe. The idea is that close family cannot be written out of the will entirely. I can see the logic behind that.
Hence why I wrote most of the West. I think the system in Japan is pretty shit to be honest. Much better to tax the dedecent’s estate and then pass down the assets without any IHT liability for the inheritors.

My wife’s grandmothers estate is still not resolved, thirty years after her death. I suspect the resolution of the problem will be passed down to my wife and her cousins in time. Very unsatisfactory for everyone involved.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

adamu wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:06 am
Deep Blue wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:12 am “don’t die in Japan”.
Or die with zero assets 😁
Yep, I think this is what I’ll work towards if we make Japan our long term home.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:27 am
Deep Blue wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:12 am It’s a very different system to most of the systems in the West.
France has a similar system I believe. The idea is that close family cannot be written out of the will entirely. I can see the logic behind that.
I think quite a lot of countries have similar rules. In Scots Law a spouse, civil partner and children of the deceased, no matter if they die with a will or without a Will, are entitled to a share of the deceased’s worldwide net moveable estate. Wills can't usually nullify Legal Rights. My grandmother left her estate to my mum and her brother but her second husband challenged it and got what we had to accept he was entitled to.