What happens to iDeCo accounts when you die?

TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: What happens to iDeCo accounts when you die?

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

banders wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:17 am Would the best idea be to cash in when you've finished paying and moving it to your taxable account at SBI or wherever (or NISA if you have spare)? Tax-wise I assume that'll be about the same as drawing down from iDeCo (?). Even if not, it'll be easy for your spouse to withdraw.
Considering your investments continue to grow tax-free I would wait for the mandatory withdrawal date of 75 and probably do a yearly withdrawal plan.

It is true that the tax-free pot is shared, and only 15,000,000 yen. BUT only half the funds that exceed that amount are taxed.

However,I am a category 3 person I will likely have a large iDeco and a very small pension. It all depends on your tax situation.

I imagine that the formula and calculations will change with time.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:31 am
banders wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:17 am Would the best idea be to cash in when you've finished paying and moving it to your taxable account at SBI or wherever (or NISA if you have spare)? Tax-wise I assume that'll be about the same as drawing down from iDeCo (?). Even if not, it'll be easy for your spouse to withdraw.
Considering your investments continue to grow tax-free I would wait for the mandatory withdrawal date of 75 and probably do a yearly withdrawal plan.
Sorry, I meant invest in eMAXIS All Country in a taxable account. Not leave it as cash.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Deep Blue wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:03 am what an absolute mess of a system. Japan really should have a wholesale review of the entire inheritance system. I doubt this will happen in my lifetime though, and I'm planning on a few more decades yet.
Amen.

I have hopefully 4 to 5 decades left, and hope for a reset so these things can be dispersed with.

If you wanted to design a system to create employment for tax advisors and benefit people who can afford tax advisors, this is what it would look like!