Recommendation of tax accountant

VG1
Regular

Recommendation of tax accountant

Post by VG1 »

I am seeking a good tax accountant with expertise in cross-border issues. I have assets abroad and recently sold real property in a foreign country. While English proficiency is preferred, I have no problem communicating in Japanese. Expertise and competence are more important!
It may have been discussed in the past on this forum (I did not find much) but newcomers here may have some good recommendations.

Thank you in advance.
beanhead
Sage

Re: Recommendation of tax accountant

Post by beanhead »

This question comes up regularly, but I don't remember seeing any good answers. What you are looking for seems somewhat elusive.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
VG1
Regular

Post by VG1 »

TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Tkydon wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:04 am No recommendation...

Just a list collected from this forum and and other sources, in no particular order...

Wow, thanks for that list! You are always very thorough in your responses Tkydon. In case it helps anyone, I use Yamada Partners which has been good at handling my somewhat complicated US investments for Japanese taxes but I suspect may be a little expensive (my company pays for them). We communicate in Japanese but they handle my English investment documents without difficulty.

https://www.yamada-partners.jp/
Last edited by TokyoWart on Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
igzem

Post by igzem »

Please let us know if any good result. Soon to start searching as well
mjgrossm42

Post by mjgrossm42 »

Yes. Thank you for that list.
Since it’s my first year filing Japan taxes here, any recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
mjgrossm42

Post by mjgrossm42 »

“I recommend the latest Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳” There are no major changes, so the Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '22 Tax Season.
Any word on 2023 or are changes not common?
ayetobee

Post by ayetobee »

Thank you for this list, it has been very helpful.
I contacted all the most appropriate to my situation (not a US citizen, living in Japan for less than five years, only one job).
I have been very surprised with the cost, the two who quoted their price up front were between 150,000 yen and 210,000 yen. Those who asked questions and responded with a price were between the two of those as well.
Is my experience unique, or is that the going price for an accountant in Japan?
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

mjgrossm42 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:03 am “I recommend the latest Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳” There are no major changes, so the Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '22 Tax Season.
Any word on 2023 or are changes not common?
Big changes in 2023, but the publisher has elected not to publish an update for 2023 ;-(
Last edited by Tkydon on Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.