Manshon add-ons and BIG furniture

nagoyayagona

Manshon add-ons and BIG furniture

Post by nagoyayagona »

I'm in the process of buying a new manshon. It's being built right now and is due to be ready next spring.
Two questions I would be interested to know others' thoughts about, please...
1. Are there any add-ons you would recommend or not recommend at the pre-move stage? They are trying to sell me, for example, aircon, wallpaper kind of stuff, floor coatings, etc.
2. I'm 6 foot 3 and I really want to get some decent new furniture that's big enough, especially sofa and dining table/chairs with good height/depth, which I can order in advance of the move. Does anyone know of a furniture place in Japan that's not IKEA self-build type but equally not super-expensive, but which sells items like these in a size bigger than the typical low-height, shallow-depth Japanese furniture?
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Manshon add-ons and BIG furniture

Post by captainspoke »

Not an add-on, but at 6'3", you should insist that your countertops (kitchen) be 90cm. Do not budge on this, your back will thank you forever.

(And then get a full sized/deep dishwasher, not one of the mini things.)
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

The floor coating is probably worth it. It will save you trying to apply wax to the hardwood floors.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

nagoyayagona wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:12 am
I'm 6 foot 3 and I really want to get some decent new furniture that's big enough, especially sofa and dining table/chairs with good height/depth, which I can order in advance of the move. Does anyone know of a furniture place in Japan that's not IKEA self-build type but equally not super-expensive, but which sells items like these in a size bigger than the typical low-height, shallow-depth Japanese furniture?
I'm similar at 6'4" and when I bought my manshon, a large dinner table was a must since I like to throw dinner parties. The dining set I ended up getting was sold through a Rakuten store front called "US Furniture" and can be found here: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/usfurniture/c/0000000469/

I got the "Queen Anne" dining set which has an elegant feel and has held up very well over the years. It was definitely more expensive than IKEA or Nitori, but worth it.
Tōhoku
Regular

Post by Tōhoku »

Depending where you live aircon is probably a good idea considering global warming. Also for improving air quality and reducing humidity.
nagoyayagona

Post by nagoyayagona »

Thanks folks for these helpful replies! Have a great weekend!
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

I would get the aircon from the builders, after getting the pricing and making sure it is competitive.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

nagoyayagona wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:12 am I'm in the process of buying a new manshon. It's being built right now and is due to be ready next spring.
Missed on suggesting this earlier, but I'd want to make sure that a new build was set up for fiber (internet) all the way through--and definitely not the common case where fiber might come to the building, and then all the units split/share that (which gets you something like a cable connection (not fiber), and a chance of it being slow when others in the building are also using it in some way.

This is something I've read about others discovering when they buy a mansion--they want to work from home (or game) and it's impossible to get a fiber connection to their unit. The person needs to get approval from the building association to run the fiber, and then on the other side, NTT/nuro don't want to deal with installing it to a single unit (they'd want to do the whole building).

And in your unit itself, I'd want to have LAN ports in every room.

(and for air-con, Daikin is a good brand)
The Revolution
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by The Revolution »

If you don't mind buying used furniture keep an eye on Tokyo Lease Corporation's Used Items page: https://www.furniture-rental-tokyo.com/ ... d+Products

The furniture on sale was usually used by expats before and tend to have light wear and tear.