Washing Machine with Dryer

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
concerned
Veteran

Washing Machine with Dryer

Post by concerned »

Hi All
WIll probably replace our washing machine pretty soon.
My wife wants one with a dryer and which automatically adds detergent...Which start from about 170,000 Yen
The problem is if I buy this, I can see that the dryer will be used every day, and clothes will never be hung out to dry again even if the sun shines... I can only imagine what my electric bill will be like if we get this...
We do have a 4 year old daughter so the washing machine is used generally every day, seems being able to wash and dry the clothes at night will be more convenient for my wife.
I see the latest washing machines are using dryers with "heat pumps", which are seemingly more energy efficient.
Anyone else using washing machine dryers every day? Does it add a lot to your electric bill?
Thanks
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Washing Machine with Dryer

Post by RetireJapan »

If at all possible, I recommend getting a gas powered dryer. They work better and cost less to run.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

One daughter had one of the combo units and loved it--two kids and they both worked, so load it after the baths and it's all done in the morning.

We have had a gas dryer for ages--nice, but you do need gas service, and gas plumbed to where it's going to be, plus there's an external vent out of the top (8cm diameter?) that has to go out thru an outside wall. I built the shelf for it above our washing machine (permanent, not removable), and it's both bigger and so heavier than the electric ones--it'll do all sheets and the 'towel' blankets, but we don't do heavier stuff. The 'mink' blankets get washed, but hung out, and then 'finished' in the dryer, 5min to fluff, also make sure any bugs are gone.

And its heat will shrink cotton things, so I hang dry some stuff, and as above, roll them in the dryer for 5min to make jeans or cotton slacks less stiff.

I think the combo units end up with the clothes being cool to touch, our dryer leaves things hot, and if you don't take some things out immediately, wrinkles. My shirts, esp linen, don't get dried--rolled for a few minutes to get the washer's wrinkles out, some iron touch up, and then hang in an extra room, which has a dehumidifier on almost all the time.

((Can you tell that I've done a lot of laundry over the years? I still do all my own and then some.))
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

concerned wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:57 am The problem is if I buy this, I can see that the dryer will be used every day, and clothes will never be hung out to dry again even if the sun shinecan only imagine what my electric bill will be like if we get this...
Having a tumble dryer saves hours every week.... we don't use mangles to wash our clothes anymore even those its cheaper than a washing machine.... not much reason to consign anyone to hours of drudgery to save a few yen unless money really is super tight. Just my opinion, I realise others may not share it!

If you do decide to get a tumbler, having a separate one (either gas or electric) is much better but obviously takes up more space.
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

I have nothing salient to add to this thread. I just wanted to say I think it's hilarious/great that electronics stores still stock those dinky little 二槽式 washing machines with a separate tank for wash/rinse and spin dry. There's usually one unit all on its lonesome in the farthest corner of the laundry section.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

concerned wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:57 am I see the latest washing machines are using dryers with "heat pumps", which are seemingly more energy efficient.
Anyone else using washing machine dryers every day? Does it add a lot to your electric bill?
Thanks
Remember the machine can break if you don’t look after it or overload it. (I know this as we are on our 3rd or maybe 4th..).

BTW, another reason to have the dryer is when you start suffering from hay fever you won’t want to hang clothes outside. What’s that. You don’t suffer. I know. That’s why I said “when”…

Anyhow..
estimate about 50 yen each time for the sake of argument. (Or more accurately for the sake of avoiding arguments (seewhatididthere..)
乾燥(約105分)
56.17円/回(消費電力量:1,812Wh)

https://enechange.jp/articles/large-con ... ctronicses
"That guy"
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Thanks! all for the replies. The Gas sounds tempting, but considering the extra space needed and need to drill a hole in the wall, will go with the Combo one. Will pay the extra to avoid arguments, will be money well spent ;)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Good decision! Happy wife, happy life. Can't put a yen value on that!
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

concerned wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:52 am Thanks! all for the replies. The Gas sounds tempting, but considering the extra space needed and need to drill a hole in the wall, will go with the Combo one. Will pay the extra to avoid arguments, will be money well spent ;)
Let us know how it is. Ours is over 10 years old now and who knows how many years it has left. It is a combo but the dryer function can only handle a tiny amount, so my wife never uses it.

We had a gas dryer in Okinawa in our AirBnB and she loved it. Once we got back I looked into getting one she shot down the idea. She thinks sunlight is better and less wasteful.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Moneymatters wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:17 am Remember the machine can break if you don’t look after it or overload it. (I know this as we are on our 3rd or maybe 4th..).
Your 3-4 machines: were they combos or separate dyers?