Transferring money now, while USD vs JPY is strong?

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Transferring money now, while USD vs JPY is strong?

Post by douglasxwilliams »

Hello all -

As I am in the midst of the process for a PR (permanent resident status), I am thinking about purchasing an apartment/mansion in the next few years. I should be retiring in the next 2 to 4 years.

Right now, since the USD is very strong vs the JPY....i was thinking that it might be a good time to transfer some of the money that i will be using for the home purchase.

Just curious of anyone has any thoughts pro/con about doing that now/soon.

thanks for any help!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Transferring money now, while USD vs JPY is strong?

Post by Beaglehound »

Not a bad idea at all in my view. As you indicate, it would make sense not to send all at once but it is a historically decent rate. Other consideration is whether the money is growing in the US, i.e. is it invested/in a deposit account. You would not be able to replicate current savings returns in the US here.
TBS

Post by TBS »

douglasxwilliams wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:18 pm Just curious of anyone has any thoughts pro/con about doing that now/soon.

thanks for any help!
Do you think in 2 to 4 years you would be able to get a loan to fund the purchase? Generally it's wise financially to try and fund property purchases in Japan via mortgages if possible.
Mrblobby
Regular

Post by Mrblobby »

(Not US, but same idea)

I have no idea why the GBP has been so strong against yen of late.

But I took advantage of it and brought over a significant amount in the last month.

I got an average of 183 yen. Seeing as though in my head the rate was 'around 160 yen', I was well pleased - to say the least.

Really don't care what it does now, I'm just very happy I could get what (to me) was such a good rate. And I can now relax and not have to think about it any more. (Highly recommended. My sense of relief has been significant).

If you think it looks (really) great now, I'd do it. And then relax.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Mrblobby wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:48 am I have no idea why the GBP has been so strong against yen of late.
GBP.JPY is high right now simply because of the interest rate gap between GBP and JPY. Or more accurately, the expected interest rate gap in the future.

My take is that if you need the yen here then now is a great time. Otherwise, you might be better leaving the GBP or USD in high yielding cash accounts or short fixed-term deposits.
Mrblobby
Regular

Post by Mrblobby »

GBP.JPY is high right now simply because of the interest rate gap between GBP and JPY. Or more accurately, the expected interest rate gap in the future.
That still means close to nothing to me. But it doesn't matter! ;)

And yes, just to be clear on my situation that drove my thoughts:

I did not have the option of investing my money in the UK, so it was just sitting there.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

Take a look at the Long term JPY=X chart. It’s quite a roller coaster. Not too long ago it had fallen down to 77. In other words I wouldn’t count on the stability of the yen. If you want to buy some thing just do it while it’s over 100.
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Post by douglasxwilliams »

Thank you all for the feedback, advice, and suggestions.

My situation is similar to some...where my money is not currently invested in anything that is generating a decent return/interest. I could move the money into something like that, but I feel that if i am able to maximize the amount of yen i can use for a home purchase, then that is more important than taking a risk for a potentially higher return for a couple of years. And as was mentioned, my sense of relief (which, like time, is a commodity that i find value more) would be significant too.

Good question regarding a home loan to fund the purchase. I can check into that, but from what I read (and that has been limited), i thought that qualifying for a loan in very difficult for foreigners.

Thank you all again so much! i always appreciate the help and support from everyone on this forum!