New Nisa - Details on the allowed index funds in the Tsumitate Portion

zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: New Nisa - Details on the allowed index funds in the Tsumitate Portion

Post by zeroshiki »

I like how the government really wants to save people from themselves. I wish they'd use this rule for the full 3.6M and not just the tsumitate portion. Kinda surprised they're even allowing active funds but the restriction on management fees, age and total assets is helps shield some of that I guess.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

zeroshiki wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:34 pm I like how the government really wants to save people from themselves. I wish they'd use this rule for the full 3.6M and not just the tsumitate portion. Kinda surprised they're even allowing active funds but the restriction on management fees, age and total assets is helps shield some of that I guess.
The 1%-1.5% active fees are very iky IMO. I think the .5% - .75% cap should have been universal.

Some active funds are not bad, as they do things that indexes cannot, or follow strategies that are valid but have no index. (Like the ultra low-fee 0-2 year bond treasury ETF- TYO 2093)
torata

Post by torata »

I was looking to see what funds Monex has for the tsumitate portion of the shin NISA, and there are currently 199 of them.

This intro page:
https://info.monex.co.jp/nisa/nisa2024/index.html

gets you to this link:
https://fund.monex.co.jp/search?nisa%5B ... FUND%5D=on
for the online list of funds (default order seems to be in list of popularity)

They are all index based, but there seem to be some stock/bond-mix lifestyle funds, although no full bond funds, and I even saw an India-specific fund

torata
nanaya
Regular

Post by nanaya »

I wonder what's the difference compared to the current tsumitate nisa choices. The monex funds link even only says "NISA: Tsumitate NISA"
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Effectively there should be no difference with the current T-NISA choices. The FSA won't suddenly change their standards although the infographic that Tsumitate Wrestler shared does show them being a little lenient on active funds.

For the vast vast majority of us looking to do a globally diversified low cost index fund, the major ones like eMaxis Slim, Tawara no load, SBI, Rakuten VT will all be there.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:12 am Effectively there should be no difference with the current T-NISA choices. The FSA won't suddenly change their standards although the infographic that Tsumitate Wrestler shared does show them being a little lenient on active funds.

For the vast vast majority of us looking to do a globally diversified low cost index fund, the major ones like eMaxis Slim, Tawara no load, SBI, Rakuten VT will all be there.
But not some of the recently established funds, it seems? There seems to be some maturity requirement. Can someone with better Japanese give me their take?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:40 am
zeroshiki wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:12 am Effectively there should be no difference with the current T-NISA choices. The FSA won't suddenly change their standards although the infographic that Tsumitate Wrestler shared does show them being a little lenient on active funds.

But not some of the recently established funds, it seems? There seems to be some maturity requirement. Can someone with better Japanese give me their take?
On your infographic it says for active funds 5 years since establishment of the fund needs to have passed. For the index funds, they need to follow that list of indices. Anything outside that is a no go and will be considered an active fund (for example the Dow index).
The other consideration is if the broker offers it or not which I assume Monex covers most but not all.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:48 am

On your infographic it says for active funds 5 years since establishment of the fund needs to have passed. For the index funds, they need to follow that list of indices. Anything outside that is a no go and will be considered an active fund (for example the Dow index).
The other consideration is if the broker offers it or not which I assume Monex covers most but not all.
Thank you. The link has a good example as well it seems.

It seems strange.....why not have a net asset minimum?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:00 am
zeroshiki wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:48 am

Thank you. The link has a good example as well it seems.

It seems strange.....why not have a net asset minimum?
They have that too (for active funds). 5 billion yen.