Rakuten nonsense

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
KCLenny
Veteran

Rakuten nonsense

Post by KCLenny »

Hi all. Been trying to apply for an iPhone 15 through Rakuten. Just the phone. I keep getting rejected through apple/Orico for silly reasons. Rakuten doesn’t seem to care about my visa length so I wanted to do the super otoku program. 48 times instalments, option to upgrade. Great.
Except my credit card (also Rakuten) doesn’t have my middle name but my mobile contract does.
I called Rakuten Card and asked them if they could add or change my middle name. No.
I just went to the mobile shop and asked if they can remove my middle name from my phone contract. Possibly nope. Trying later after work.
Why? Both mobile and card require my zairyu card for ID. That has my middle name on it.
So mobile won’t allow me to NOT have my middle name. By Card won’t allow me to HAVE my middle name because if they do it’s too long.

So what the hell am I supposed to do?
Advice appreciated
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Rakuten nonsense

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

KCLenny wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 am Hi all. Been trying to apply for an iPhone 15 through Rakuten. Just the phone. I keep getting rejected through apple/Orico for silly reasons. Rakuten doesn’t seem to care about my visa length so I wanted to do the super otoku program. 48 times instalments, option to upgrade. Great.
Except my credit card (also Rakuten) doesn’t have my middle name but my mobile contract does.
I called Rakuten Card and asked them if they could add or change my middle name. No.
I just went to the mobile shop and asked if they can remove my middle name from my phone contract. Possibly nope. Trying later after work.
Why? Both mobile and card require my zairyu card for ID. That has my middle name on it.
So mobile won’t allow me to NOT have my middle name. By Card won’t allow me to HAVE my middle name because if they do it’s too long.

Advice appreciated
Cancel your contract and change providers.

Also, based of your previous posts , your financial situation would seem to suggest a 15 man phone is a completely unnecessary luxury.

It's seem even this websites operator opted for a pixel A series. (1/3 of the price.).
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

I appreciate the financial advice but that doesn’t really help the actual question. I’ve decided I can afford a repayment plan at the cost stipulated. And that it’s worth it based on how much I need my phone (specifically iPhone due to work and other connected systems).
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

KCLenny wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:23 am . I’ve decided I can afford a repayment plan at the cost stipulated).
I am not here to criticize anyone, but your have stated that fire insurance and bike insurance are too expensive, yet you are shopping for an iPhone 15? You really need to take a step back and look at your financial behavior.

This is not rational.
KCLenny wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:23 am I appreciate the financial advice but that doesn’t really help the actual question.
If they cannot change you contract, then cancel it. Open one at another company. Or another Rakuten mobile branch. Or use a better MNVO and buy a phone from apple directly.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Not here to criticize anyone then proceed to say I’m not being rational.
Anyway thanks for the advice. I’ll take it on board. I’m currently look for advice for how to change my name on either my Rakuten mobile contract or credit card or what to do to make this process go through.
“Just cancel it” isn’t really helpful advice. But thanks for trying.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:45 am
KCLenny wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 am Hi all. Been trying to apply for an iPhone 15 through Rakuten. Just the phone. I keep getting rejected through apple/Orico for silly reasons. Rakuten doesn’t seem to care about my visa length so I wanted to do the super otoku program. 48 times instalments, option to upgrade. Great.

Advice appreciated
Cancel your contract and change providers.

Also, based of your previous posts , your financial situation would seem to suggest a 15 man phone is a completely unnecessary luxury.

It's seem even this websites operator opted for a pixel A series. (1/3 of the price.).
I only upgraded to Pixel 7a because I smashed my Pixel 6a and it would have cost almost as much to repair it 😅
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

KCLenny wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 am I called Rakuten Card and asked them if they could add or change my middle name. No.
There's nothing else to be said here though.

You either try again with another customer support person, or you cancel your contract and open one with the correct name. Maybe the threat will give you enough leverage.

I decided I can afford a repayment plan at the cost stipulated. And that it’s worth it based on how much I need my phone (specifically iPhone due to work and other connected systems
).

Do you feel buying the newest model of a luxury product is prudent considering you cannot budget monthly insurance, and have trouble affording a replacement bicycle?

This forum is all about planning for retirement and financial prudence with the goal of financial independence.

A 48 month cellphone loan is not that ...
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Seriously what is your problem with me? I’m just blocking you. You’ve just been rude and unhelpful. I’m not asking for your financial advice here at the moment. I’m asking for advice on how to deal with a Rakuten issue.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

KCLenny wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 am So what the hell am I supposed to do?
Advice appreciated
I had similar name issues within the SBI ecosystem. These are just different products M&A’d, cobbled together by different people, and unfortunately it appears that foreigner name handling standards don’t exist in Japan and probably will not exist.

Grin and bear it, would be my advice… I am not sure if it would be worth the time complaining and trying to get it fixed.

These name issues are just special cases for these businesses, and if anyone finds one that does make it a priority to resolve, I want to know so I can sign up.

Or, maybe we need to put our capital into a new conglomerate? Who’s with me!?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

The Government really should mandate - either by law or by “guidance” from the MoF/MLHW/MoC that all banks, financial services, pensions, mobile phones providers are required to fully support all legal foreign names with no requirement to bastardize them into katakana.

Would remove so many hassles for providers and customers - how many millions of man hours a year are wasted on this sort of bullshit?