Recommendations for news/magazine subscriptions?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
japantous

Recommendations for news/magazine subscriptions?

Post by japantous »

Hi all,

Being inundated with ads on online news sites its getting a bit tiresome, so I wondered how many of you subscribe to news sites/magazines (or physical newspapers for that matter), and if so, which you would recommend? (Japanese or English welcome).

Long ago I had a TIME magazine subscription which was distributed via some other company in Asia...
Also used to buy the Newton science mag but the Japanese was a bit beyond my language level ;)
Now I'm considering subscribing to Japan Times or Nikkei.

Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone is reading!
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Recommendations for news/magazine subscriptions?

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

The Economist (Digital) - excellent coverage with great podcasts. All articles also have professional audio.

The Economist (Print) - If you are a high earner. This is an expensive subscription as it is a weekly magazine.
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

HBR

They halved the number of issues to 6 a year a while back but still a great read with lots of intersting topics across all of business. The print version gives you access to the whole digital back catalogue plus a lot more.
paul

Post by paul »

I've been signing up and then cancelling trial subsciptions of the New Yorker and the Atlantic for the last few years, then tried Match of the Day and FourFourTwo for the soccer obsessed kids. The deals vary, but they're generally under 1000 per issue for a year. I think the New Yorker generally has the best deals, and they throw in a New Yorker tote bag that you can usually sell for about 1000 on Mercari
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

The FT and The Times (UK) for me. Occasionally subscribe to the WSJ if they are having one of their $1 sales.

All online only.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

Deep Blue wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:00 pm The FT and The Times (UK) for me. Occasionally subscribe to the WSJ if they are having one of their $1 sales.

All online only.
Yes! I second the WSJ as a great bang for the buck. I signed up for the $2/month digital only subscription special offer and I read it daily. The articles are well written and cover many financial topics in-depth with beautiful charts and other useful statistics. I'm definitely happy with it.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Private Eye and the Daily Telegraph
tagawa
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by tagawa »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:38 am The Economist (Digital) - excellent coverage with great podcasts. All articles also have professional audio.

The Economist (Print) - If you are a high earner. This is an expensive subscription as it is a weekly magazine.
I second the recommendation for The Economist. Not only is the content interesting, balanced and relevant, the writing is engaging and sometimes even humorous.