Calling all geeks: phpBB maintenance

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Calling all geeks: phpBB maintenance

Post by RetireJapan »

Does anyone know if this is a problem or can we just ignore it for now?

English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
mikele3
Veteran

Re: Calling all geeks: phpBB maintenance

Post by mikele3 »

Ignore. ... but plan for a time to do the update.

I am a bit on the reckless side, I would have updated already ... it mentions new feature! :D
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

mikele3 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:02 am Ignore. ... but plan for a time to do the update.

I am a bit on the reckless side, I would have updated already ... it mentions new feature! :D
Thank you! Not comfortable messing around with the forum, so will ignore until not possible any more :D

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Needless to say, make regular backups. And especially make a backup just before you do the upgrade :)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I don't know about phpBB but in general (and especially for PHP apps), staying up to date ensures you have the latest security patches are are less likely to get exploited by hackers/spammers. There are armies of automated bots probing every accessible website constantly for known vulnerabilities, so it's good to stay up to date.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I was actually curious about phpBB the other day and looked it up. Was quite surprised its still being actively supported.
We should consider a backup in case phpBB does become unusable. Maybe a discord server.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Not sure if this is relevant to out of date software but although I am still logged in on my phone, safari on iPad has logged me out of my account and won't let me either log in or reset my password (I requested an email link but it never arrives). I have also seen another poster on here saying they had to create a new account and another on Facebook saying they have had access issues.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Beaglehound wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:18 am Not sure if this is relevant to out of date software but although I am still logged in on my phone, safari on iPad has logged me out of my account and won't let me either log in or reset my password (I requested an email link but it never arrives). I have also seen another poster on here saying they had to create a new account and another on Facebook saying they have had access issues.
Just send me a DM/email/someone on social media if that happens. I can reset passwords manually.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:08 pm
Beaglehound wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:18 am Not sure if this is relevant to out of date software but although I am still logged in on my phone, safari on iPad has logged me out of my account and won't let me either log in or reset my password (I requested an email link but it never arrives). I have also seen another poster on here saying they had to create a new account and another on Facebook saying they have had access issues.
Just send me a DM/email/someone on social media if that happens. I can reset passwords manually.
I tried that through the forum (send to administrator) and it didn't work either...if we could sort it out would be good though, am more of an iPad than a phone person, being oldish and long sighted.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

Software updates usually include security bug fixes, personally I wouldn't skip upgrades.