SBI iDeCo - which SBI world fund, or switch to Monex?

sanfransicko
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

SBI iDeCo - which SBI world fund, or switch to Monex?

Post by sanfransicko »

Hi all. I'm American and don't use an iDeCo account, but my Japanese wife does have one through SBI. She doesn't have a ton in it at the moment (probably around 1.3 million yen) because we previously lived overseas. She'll continue to save the max each month (around 23,000 yen). Wife has 25 years until retirement. We will retire in Japan.

She has her iDeCo split between a few different funds but wants to move it to a single world fund to simplify everything. Personally, in the US I just hold Vanguard VT. My wife holds eMaxis Slim All Country in her old Rakuten NISA, and will continue to save in All Country in her new Rakuten NISA. We aren't totally sure what to do with her iDeCo (if anything).

I searched the forum and read the wiki regarding world funds and triple taxation, but wasn't totally confident in my conclusions. So, I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1. Is it worth her switching from SBI to Monex in order to be able to just use eMaxis Slim All Country in a Monex iDeCo account? As I understand it, it would take around 2 months to switch and she wouldn't be able to make contributions in that time.

2. If it's not worth switching, which world fund is the preferred one to use through SBI - SBI Whole World Index or SBI V Whole World Index?

3. From what I've read, both of the SBI options seem to be less tax efficient than Monex's All Country. Is this substantial or a reason to switch, or should we just not worry about this?

Thank you for any advice!
adamu
Sage

Re: SBI iDeCo - which SBI world fund, or switch to Monex?

Post by adamu »

I don't think it's worth switching due to the out of market risk and fees involved.

For SBI's iDeCo, I go with

93% eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(除く日本)
7% eMAXIS Slim 国内株式(TOPIX)

Which is a rough approximation of the all country fund (although 6% Japan is more accurate recently)
sanfransicko
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by sanfransicko »

adamu wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:27 am I don't think it's worth switching due to the out of market risk and fees involved.

For SBI's iDeCo, I go with

93% eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(除く日本)
7% eMAXIS Slim 国内株式(TOPIX)

Which is a rough approximation of the all country fund (although 6% Japan is more accurate recently)
Cheers! Unfortunately when she signed up for SBI they didn't have the Select account, so she has an Original plan. It seems like switching to the Select plan has the same out of market and contribution risks as switching to Monex, minus the 4400 fee. They told her it would take 1-2 months to switch to Select. Did you switch to the Select plan in the past? How quickly were you able to move over?

Thanks again!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

sanfransicko wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:23 am Cheers! Unfortunately when she signed up for SBI they didn't have the Select account, so she has an Original plan. It seems like switching to the Select plan has the same out of market and contribution risks as switching to Monex, minus the 4400 fee. They told her it would take 1-2 months to switch to Select. Did you switch to the Select plan in the past? How quickly were you able to move over?

Thanks again!
Sorry I signed up with select from the start, so not sure. I think there is a post buried here by someone that did it though...