10 years old! How has RetireJapan helped you?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Re: 10 years old! How has RetireJapan helped you?

Post by douglasxwilliams »

I am a recent member of this society, only joined about 1.5 years ago, but i have received a ton of excellent information and advice from the wonderful, knowledgeable, and experienced community here. I think that the most valuable thing for me is being able to have access to so many people that have gone through all of the various twists and turns that foreigners in Japan go through. It is amazing. So much wisdom and insight here!

thanks!
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Beaglehound wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 am It's simply a pleasant place to interact and the boss has to get the credit for that.
Ditto that!
I admire how the boss has kept the forum apolitical. That’s not easy to do on the internet.

I see that I joined 2017… no recollection of what brought me here… but it’s great that there are a variety of categories in the forum. One category that may not be of interest now may be ignored, only to be rediscovered as a treasure trove of info some time later when required.
Randomletters

Post by Randomletters »

For me, it was seeing Ben's talk in Tsukuba in 2020.
I signed up for Rakuten securities and was all set to get started, but it wouldn't accept my credit card because of a slight difference in account names... And so, with a newborn daughter sucking up my time, I forgot about it for 3 years.

Until this year, when the increasing cost of living made me think about what to do with the savings in my accounts. And my mind wandered back to NISA. But I had some questions, and I knew a beginner friendly forum to help me get started.

My daughter has 1 year of JNISA happily filled up and me and the wife have Tsumitate Nisas filled for this year. The new Nisa reservations have been made, and I'm feeling more positive about my money at least holding its value, despite the ever increasing cost of groceries, and never increasing academic salary...

I think I need to echo what everyone else here has been saying THANK YOU BEN!
You've really done the heavy lifting, making life better for probably everyone here.
SOT
Regular

Post by SOT »

Nothing new to add to what's been posted already, it's a similar story. iDeco, NISA, UK Pension. Lots to be grateful for 🙏 Have also passed learnt wisdom on to others, so the beneficiaries of Retire Japan aren't only those who post on the boards! The wisdom web must stretch far!!

Thanks to Retire Japan and everyone who contributes 😁
Last edited by SOT on Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

I want to add my thanks to Ben for creating such a great site that has enabled this helpful a community to develop. His attention to keeping things welcoming and civil are much appreciated and the way Ben shares details of his own financial life make it easier to relate to his message. I came to RetireJapan after years of investing but it was discussions here that finally got me to use iDeCo and furusato nozei as well as open accounts at the Rakuten/SBI/Monex discount brokers. I don't know how I would have navigated all the gaijin name problems between Rakuten's own separate financial businesses without reading the posts here. I think Ben has done an amazing job at pointing out the tools (NISA, J-NISA, iDeCo, etc.) available to us here as well as how to understand and maximize use of the Japanese pension system. I almost want to become a UK citizen so I can take advantage of his UK pension advice and I'm grateful for his attention to the investment and tax traps for US expats. Finally, Ben's maintaining this platform has enabled me to virtually "meet" and benefit from the advice and experience of so many other RJ participants that this feels like one of Warren Buffett's "snowballs" that grows ever bigger beyond the power of any one person because of how it builds its own momentum.
Mrblobby
Regular

Post by Mrblobby »

Even though I had an investment fund thing going in the UK (thanks to wise parental advice a few decades ago), I only had a very basic understanding of it.

This site/forum has been a big help in me gaining a much better understanding, especially the Japan aspect.

Thank you and gambatte!
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Mrblobby wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:26 am …Blobby!! Blobbyblobbyblobby. Blobbybobbly, blobbybobbyblobbyblobby!

Blobby blobby blobbyblobby!!
Just to say I agree with the sentiment whole heartedly.
RJ has been a huge help to me also. And due to compounding the next 10 years should be even better!
"That guy"
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

concerned wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:11 am Been in Japan for a while now and have made all the mistakes, used 2-3 different financial advisors in Tokyo , invested in off-shore funds, and did a Yen loan for a UK property.... All to my financial detriment....

I did a private coaching session with Ben about 6 years ago, he set me up with IDECO and Nisa investing in low cost funds, this was the best money I have ever spent and have not looked back. Thanks!! Ben much appreciated!!
If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to do a Yen loan for a UK property? it wasn't through the now defunct Lloyds expat loan service. I have always gone through UK building societies with pound sterling loans. The only experience with different currency mortgages was with my Polish sister-in-law who took out a Swiss Franc mortgage for a flat in Poland- it didn't end well, fortunately it wasn't for a such a large sum.
Mrblobby
Regular

Post by Mrblobby »

Moneymatters wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:37 am
Mrblobby wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:26 am …Blobby!! Blobbyblobbyblobby. Blobbybobbly, blobbybobbyblobbyblobby!

RJ has been a huge help to me also. And due to compounding the next 10 years should be even better!
Blobbyblobbyblobby. Blobbybobbly, blobbybobbyblobbyblobby!
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:16 am
Moneymatters wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:37 am

Blobbyblobbyblobby. Blobbybobbly, blobbybobbyblobbyblobby!
I can't imagine how confusing this exchange is for people who didn't grow up in Britain :lol: