£10k- how to invest

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Re: £10k- how to invest

Post by Roger Van Zant »

northSaver wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:07 am
Bushiman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:48 pm I have an Online BNS Saver account with HSBC that is paying me 4% right now and the money is not locked in -I can add/withdraw instantly...
I still use NS&I Premium Bonds for my almost instant access account (it takes a day or two to get the money transferred to Lloyds). Their average rate at the moment is 4.65%, and the last time I checked I was getting about that (average luck I guess). I expect that rate to drop fairly soon though. It's a bit of a thrill to check how much I've won each month using their online prize checker... also the faint glimmer of hope that Agent Millionaire will call me personally :lol: I was a bit doubtful that overseas folk were treated the same as UK residents but I see that at least one overseas resident won £100k in November so I guess it is truly random.
I wish I could set this up from Japan, but when I tried to do so, it said I had to be UK-resident.
I have an account with NatWest all ready to use. :(
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:17 am I wish I could set this up from Japan, but when I tried to do so, it said I had to be UK-resident.
Did you get told this when applying online? I just tried it now as a test and got this message:
"As the address is not in the UK, you can't apply online. You'll need to apply by phone on +44 1253 832 007"

You can definitely hold premium bonds if you're not UK-resident, they state this clearly in the FAQ. The application process is not as easy though, and you will need to send certified proof of address in English as well as your passport copy.

I actually opened my account years ago using my parents' UK address, then changed it to my Japanese address online. I don't think they even asked me to prove the new address, come to think of it. I guess things are stricter now :cry:
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

northSaver wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:32 am
Roger Van Zant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:17 am I wish I could set this up from Japan, but when I tried to do so, it said I had to be UK-resident.
Did you get told this when applying online? I just tried it now as a test and got this message:
"As the address is not in the UK, you can't apply online. You'll need to apply by phone on +44 1253 832 007"

You can definitely hold premium bonds if you're not UK-resident, they state this clearly in the FAQ. The application process is not as easy though, and you will need to send certified proof of address in English as well as your passport copy.

I actually opened my account years ago using my parents' UK address, then changed it to my Japanese address online. I don't think they even asked me to prove the new address, come to think of it. I guess things are stricter now :cry:
Yeah, tried online.
Okay, I will give the number a call and see what they say.
Certified proof of address in English sounds like a major pain in the backside, though....
Thanks!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Matt_Black

Post by Matt_Black »

Thanks for the input.
Until now I was under the impression that a lot of the investment options in the UK are only available to residents. Will look into the options called out in the replies.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:33 am
sutebayashi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:08 pm
- FX accounts - interest equivalent can be had, but the main attraction for me is to speculate on currencies and I do that here, away from my investments. Tax rate is again 20%
- Futures trading - same as FX but instead trading gold and platinum mini contracts in yen terms… getting more niche
- CFD trading - yet more things to speculate on… you could do much of this via a tokutei account too though
Oh, very spicy! Any luck with CFDs?
Yes, all speculative profit make I put down to luck, lest I blow it shortly thereafter by mistaking myself for a market wizard.

I have CFD account with Rakuten, and recently opened one with IG sec. IG sec is renowned for its vast range of instruments (and I read a book on CFDs by their CEO from my local library), plus I like their English version for market news in English. Unfortunately if one is resident in Japan they only give you the user interface in Japanese for a proper non-demo account, so it could use some work… but that’s run if the mill for foreigners in Japan I guess.

Rakuten has the main instruments I might want to trade, but I like to have a couple of accounts in case one has technical troubles… I have seen this in the past with sudden market earthquakes when one broker just freezes.

CFDs are best suited to somewhat active, short term dealing I feel, but it depends on the instrument I guess. I was surprised recently when I went long WTI, I think it was, and yet the daily funding cost was positive? I still have a bit to learn.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I locked some GBP away for two years at 5.5% interest with Lloyds bank last month.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

sutebayashi wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:27 pm
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:33 am
sutebayashi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:08 pm
- FX accounts - interest equivalent can be had, but the main attraction for me is to speculate on currencies and I do that here, away from my investments. Tax rate is again 20%
- Futures trading - same as FX but instead trading gold and platinum mini contracts in yen terms… getting more niche
- CFD trading - yet more things to speculate on… you could do much of this via a tokutei account too though
Oh, very spicy! Any luck with CFDs?
Yes, all speculative profit make I put down to luck, lest I blow it shortly thereafter by mistaking myself for a market wizard.

I have CFD account with Rakuten, and recently opened one with IG sec. IG sec is renowned for its vast range of instruments (and I read a book on CFDs by their CEO from my local library), plus I like their English version for market news in English. Unfortunately if one is resident in Japan they only give you the user interface in Japanese for a proper non-demo account, so it could use some work… but that’s run if the mill for foreigners in Japan I guess.

Rakuten has the main instruments I might want to trade, but I like to have a couple of accounts in case one has technical troubles… I have seen this in the past with sudden market earthquakes when one broker just freezes.

CFDs are best suited to somewhat active, short term dealing I feel, but it depends on the instrument I guess. I was surprised recently when I went long WTI, I think it was, and yet the daily funding cost was positive? I still have a bit to learn.
I always thought of CFDs as a poor man's "options", with less liquidity, and less transparency.

I do not know if I trust the CFD market, but I would not mind access to the US options market. Sadly it seems only Saxo is an option now. Expensive....
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Matt_Black wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:28 am I have some money sitting in my UK back account and not doing much work. I'd like to use £10k of it and invest.

I currently live and work here in Japan and have no plans to leave. I also max out all tax advantaged investment options and put some extra in my taxable Rakuten securities account.

The first thing that comes to mind is to leverage the cheap yen, move the money to Japan and put towards maxing out the new NISA. I am keen to hear if you have other ideas either in Japan or outside.
There is another option that I think gives a great return. If you can, you could pay into the UK state pension class 2.
I think thats an awesome rate of return. Depending on your age, and time to retirement. Especially since the 10-year back-date payment is still available.
It is a guaranteed return on that investment of £3:45pence a week.
£3.45 X 52= £179.40 per year

£179.40 X 10 year = £1794 invested. Still leaving you with £8206. to bring over. Either as an emergency fund, or pop into IDECO.NISA.
Last edited by Bubblegun on Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:19 pm
Matt_Black wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:28 am I have some money sitting in my UK back account and not doing much work. I'd like to use £10k of it and invest.

I currently live and work here in Japan and have no plans to leave. I also max out all tax advantaged investment options and put some extra in my taxable Rakuten securities account.

The first thing that comes to mind is to leverage the cheap yen, move the money to Japan and put towards maxing out the new NISA. I am keen to hear if you have other ideas either in Japan or outside.
Its not really an investment per sae but there is another option that I think gives a great return for your money. If you can, you could pay into the UK state pension class 2.
I think thats an awesome rate of return. Depending on your age, and time to retirement. Especially since the 10-year back-date payment is still available.
It is a guaranteed return on that. £3:45pence a week.
£3.45 X 52= £179.40 per year

£179.40 X 10 year = £1794 invested. Still leaving you with £8206. to bring over. Either as an emergency fund, or pop into IDECO.NISA.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Deep Blue wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:05 am I locked some GBP away for two years at 5.5% interest with Lloyds bank last month.
Is this available to non-residents? I am with Lloyds and was researching this and they said you had to be a resident.