Free uni fees (3 kids) ?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
beanhead
Sage

Re: Free uni fees (3 kids) ?

Post by beanhead »

sutebayashi wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:42 am Just started wondering if this tax payer funded education will apply if kids are sent overseas for that education, or one will be stuck to choose only from domestic options.
See page 5 of this paper from today:

https://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/kodomo ... ankou1.pdf

It mentions state schools and private. Safe to assume that this refers only to Japanese universities (and junior colleges/2-year schools as well).

Proposal is for 700,000 per year for private and 540,000 for public institutions. So not completely free.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

I work in the industry so I consider this government stimulus. Let's just say I am happy either way.

However, to be honest it is a bit of a race to the bottom at many universities. The quality is sliding quite a bit.

Less competition at higher-end universities causes admission levels to slide down the chain. I teach academic English currently, however in the future I fear I may be doing post-secondary Eikaiwa.
SOT
Regular

Post by SOT »

Was reading earlier that the "three kids free" headline is quite misleading.

What it actually says is that at the time of having three dependants the cost of university is reduced (as mentioned by Beanhead previously).

Also, the distinction between "kids" and "dependants" is important, because once your older kid graduates they are no longer counted as a dependant, so then you only have two dependants, which means you have to pay the regular price for further education.

So, in practice, a family with three kids (assuming they all go to university) will get a discount on the first child, but after that will pay the same as everyone else.

Getting a discount for the first kid is nice, but it's not quite what the government has made it out to be.

Previously, I said it was "quite misleading", that was pretty generous of me...
Andy.
Regular

Post by Andy. »

Yes, my Japanese wife was telling me the same thing. From her understanding of it (we have 3 kids), it looks like our oldest son would potentially be eligible, the second son would get it for a year maybe, and then that would be it! So definitely not as good as it originally seemed, but still better than nothing.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Is there an incentive in here for me or partner to retire early and become a dependent to get another freebie on the second kid?
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

SOT wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:14 am
What it actually says is that at the time of having three dependants the cost of university is reduced (as mentioned by Beanhead previously).
Elderly dependents are not included, are they? Wife's parents, for example.
My understanding is that all 3 dependents must be minors/in full-time education.

As you said, when the eldest graduates, gets a job and then leaves your 扶養 (dependency), then you only have 2 children relying on you, so you no longer meet the criteria.
It does seem a bit misleading, and you have to wonder how many families will be able to benefit from it.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:27 pm you have to wonder how many families will be able to benefit from it.
We had two kids in uni at the same time, so this would have been great (the other was in high school, so the extra child benefit would have been great too). I think it will help a lot of people.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:23 am
beanhead wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:27 pm you have to wonder how many families will be able to benefit from it.
We had two kids in uni at the same time, so this would have been great (the other was in high school, so the extra child benefit would have been great too). I think it will help a lot of people.
I think it is a great idea, and long overdue. Just thinking about a family with kids spaced out, say 18 and 14 and 12. They would probably, as someone noted, only get the reduced (not free) tuition for the eldest child, and nothing for kids 2 and 3.
If your kids are closer in age, then you could get more benefit.

For those who do not have children yet, my suggestion is to aim for triplets :lol: