Naturalization

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Deebee

Naturalization

Post by Deebee »

I am planning to naturalize soon, but in terms of the Japanese test that will be involved, has anyone done it? What was the test like ? I understand they'll check your level to that of a grade 3 elementary school student, but Im curious to know what format was the test, writing/speaking/listening etc.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Naturalization

Post by RetireJapan »

I was asked to handwrite my essay on the spot, but I understand this is not normal and my case officer was just being nasty :roll:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

If you can carry on a conversation in Japanese they won't bother testing you. If it gets to the point that they do need to test you, I would recommend you spend some time studying Japanese.

To answer the question, its supposedly grade school level Japanese and should be fairly easy if you've lived in Japan 5+ years.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:14 am I was asked to handwrite my essay on the spot, but I understand this is not normal and my case officer was just being nasty :roll:
You naturalized and gave up your UK citizenship? Wow.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

I have a meeting with scrivener about naturalization this Friday. I'll ask about this too!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:40 am
RetireJapan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:14 am I was asked to handwrite my essay on the spot, but I understand this is not normal and my case officer was just being nasty :roll:
Not yet, but I think it will happen at some point. Would not have considered it pre-Brexit, but I doubt I will ever live in the UK again.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:23 am
Roger Van Zant wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:40 am
Not yet, but I think it will happen at some point. Would not have considered it pre-Brexit, but I doubt I will ever live in the UK again.
Why did you have to hand write an essay in that case?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:25 am Why did you have to hand write an essay in that case?
I had a preliminary interview at the 法務局 in Sendai as the first step on March 10th 2011. Got a bit distracted after that and never got round to finishing the application ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Is it a requirement that the applicant needs to be able to handwrite in Japanese?
I can type Japanese just fine with minimal grammatical error (and minimal vocabulary too, probably) but handwriting is a beast that I have never attempted to tame.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goran wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:06 am
Is it a requirement that the applicant needs to be able to handwrite in Japanese?
I can type Japanese just fine with minimal grammatical error (and minimal vocabulary too, probably) but handwriting is a beast that I have never attempted to tame.
My understanding is that you have to handwrite the essay, but you can do it at home and bring it in. Being handed a piece of paper on the spot is not normal. But a lot will depend on your case officer I think.

The people I talked to first when I went in to get information were really friendly and encouraging, but my case officer was... not. Don't know if he was just having a bad day or was a nasty piece of work, but that interview put me off (plus the earthquake the next day was a bit disruptive).

Will probably try again before I have to renew my UK passport.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)