Voting from Overseas

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
futureplanner

Voting from Overseas

Post by futureplanner »

I watched a YouTube video recently "The Rules for Rulers" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs) that got me thinking about politics.

I don't want this thread to be ABOUT politics, but I do want to remind all US Citizens that you still have the opportunity to vote in Federal elections even if you don't have an address in the US. If you do maintain an address in the US, you would also be able to vote in local elections based on your address.

All the information US citizens need to register to vote is available on https://www.fvap.gov/

Voters need to mail in some paperwork to the appropriate office, which the FVAP site will help figure out the address (and even provide a PDF version of the envelope + form).

While it's difficult to see the big picture sometimes, the right to vote is a privilege (that is earned again each year through the toil of filing tax returns every year).

PLEASE VOTE

(also please do not use this thread to discuss political views, it is only intended to spread information for overseas voting methods)

If citizens of other nations have information to share about voting in other countries, please spread the word. Voting is important in every country!
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Voting from Overseas

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

futureplanner wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:16 am I watched a YouTube video recently "The Rules for Rulers" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs) that got me thinking about politics.

I don't want this thread to be ABOUT politics, but I do want to remind all US Citizens that you still have the opportunity to vote in Federal elections even if you don't have an address in the US. If you do maintain an address in the US, you would also be able to vote in local elections based on your address.

All the information US citizens need to register to vote is available on https://www.fvap.gov/

Voters need to mail in some paperwork to the appropriate office, which the FVAP site will help figure out the address (and even provide a PDF version of the envelope + form).

While it's difficult to see the big picture sometimes, the right to vote is a privilege (that is earned again each year through the toil of filing tax returns every year).

PLEASE VOTE

(also please do not use this thread to discuss political views, it is only intended to spread information for overseas voting methods)

If citizens of other nations have information to share about voting in other countries, please spread the word. Voting is important in every country!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_ ... _of_origin
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Interesting information about the UK, thanks. I didn't know the 15-year rule had been scrapped. Looks like we can register to vote on the 16th of next month.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

futureplanner wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:16 am While it's difficult to see the big picture sometimes, the right to vote is a privilege (that is earned again each year through the toil of filing tax returns every year).
Fortunately I do not even have to file a tax return in my home country to retain the right to vote. It’s not entirely pointless because I do notice the stupid changes the incumbent government has made at the times when I am back there.

Edit: away with the unnecessary take
Last edited by sutebayashi on Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

sutebayashi wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:38 pm While not wanting to wade into US politics, I would encourage our American friends to find a better pair of candidates than Biden and Trump! TIA! If I am honest, the result of the US elections effects me more than the elections in my home country, so I hope they make a good fist of things next November…
Let's keep things neutral on politics please. Talking about the mechanics of voting from abroad is fine, but no editorial content here.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

northSaver wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:28 pm I didn't know the 15-year rule had been scrapped. Looks like we can register to vote on the 16th of next month.
Woah. I didn't know that either. I wonder where we will be deemed as voting? The last previously registered address? Will we be able to choose?

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:57 pmThe last previously registered address?
This is how it works for current eligible people.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:57 pm
northSaver wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:28 pm I didn't know the 15-year rule had been scrapped. Looks like we can register to vote on the 16th of next month.
Woah. I didn't know that either. I wonder where we will be deemed as voting? The last previously registered address? Will we be able to choose?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-election

"British people living overseas for more than 15 years would be able to vote in the last constituency in which they were registered or provide proof of past residency."
So I assume that means "were registered to vote"..

"For those registering for the first time, proof of former residency will be needed with a non-exhaustive list of documentation likely to be acceptable.
The list of documents to prove past residency is likely to include a British driving licence (including an expired licence); a letter from HMRC; a rent book from a local authority; a statement of benefits including child benefit; a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming eligibility for a state pension; a utility or mobile telephone bill; a letter from an insurance provider; a letter from a student loans company or a bank statement, payslip, P45 or P60."

So, aside from living abroad so long the correct spelling of license is massively triggering to me and probably rendering me ineligible, I'm wondering if you had to rely on the Letter from the pensions dept that could also be linked to an address hence constituency..

what's this.
https://consult.levellingup.gov.uk/elec ... 8Xezkotwms
ooh. a trial to test the new registration system, that or a phishing site, who cares, it's Friday!
OK. Despite the trial deadline seemingly having passed, I've provided all my personal details and if accepted I'll be able to try it out and report back.. (Their screening questionnaire is thorough! To help my application along, I used my own assessment as to the current state of my mental health rather than that provided by a family member this morning.)

Update: Wait. It's only Thursday?
"That guy"
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Moneymatters wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:38 am or provide proof of past residency
Ruh-roh. What is the bet that I am unable to do this (don't have a British driving license any more, as you're not allowed to renew them as a non-resident :roll: )

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:25 am
Moneymatters wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:38 am or provide proof of past residency
Ruh-roh. What is the bet that I am unable to do this (don't have a British driving license any more, as you're not allowed to renew them as a non-resident :roll: )
Correspondence related to your UK pension payments should be fine. Don't think address will matter, the fact you are able to pay in shows you were resident at some point.