Voting from Overseas

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
deezy

Re: Voting from Overseas

Post by deezy »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:25 am
Moneymatters wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:38 am or provide proof of past residency
Ruh-roh. What is the bet that I am unable to do this (don't have a British driving license any more, as you're not allowed to renew them as a non-resident :roll: )
Off topic from the thread, but regarding the British driving licence: it's valid until 70 years old isn't it? I still have mine.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

deezy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:25 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:25 am
Moneymatters wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:38 am or provide proof of past residency
Ruh-roh. What is the bet that I am unable to do this (don't have a British driving license any more, as you're not allowed to renew them as a non-resident :roll: )
Off topic from the thread, but regarding the British driving licence: it's valid until 70 years old isn't it? I still have mine.
Huh, I thought you needed to photo card for it to be valid now. Might have to try and find it then!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

It's still valid only if you are resident in the UK.

As by law you need to change the address to reflect where you reside. 1,000gbp fine if you don't..
and clearly you can't update it with a foreign address.

And it is an actual crime to falsify the address when applying for or renewing a license.
Interestingly, I saw someone say if you do the online conversion from paper to plastic it won't ask you on the screen if the address is your residential address or not. However.. Ignorantia juris non excusat as my old Latin master would say..*

so there you are.

Ultimately, getting rumbled by the rozzers, felt by the fuzz, probed by the plod, caressed by coppers or picked up by old Bill aside, a brisk googling seems to show this may or may not invalidate the insurance. Personally I don't want to rely on how the insurance provider views things when they find out. (And they will find out when you claim for the damaged boot load of Cadbury Chocolate, HP and roll-on deodorant..)

* :lol:
"That guy"
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Moneymatters wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:27 am And it is an actual crime to falsify the address when applying for or renewing a license.
When my plastic card expired I went to renew by post when I was visiting the UK, but I was put off by the legal warning and decided not to go through with it. This was some time ago :?

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
deezy

Post by deezy »

Moneymatters wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:27 am
It's still valid only if you are resident in the UK.

As by law you need to change the address to reflect where you reside. 1,000gbp fine if you don't..
and clearly you can't update it with a foreign address.

And it is an actual crime to falsify the address when applying for or renewing a license.
Interestingly, I saw someone say if you do the online conversion from paper to plastic it won't ask you on the screen if the address is your residential address or not. However.. Ignorantia juris non excusat as my old Latin master would say..*

so there you are.

Ultimately, getting rumbled by the rozzers, felt by the fuzz, probed by the plod, caressed by coppers or picked up by old Bill aside, a brisk googling seems to show this may or may not invalidate the insurance. Personally I don't want to rely on how the insurance provider views things when they find out. (And they will find out when you claim for the damaged boot load of Cadbury Chocolate, HP and roll-on deodorant..)

* :lol:
I didn't know that!
I have the paper licence, and I knew you didn't have to change if you got it before 2005 I think it was. I've been using it at car rental agencies every time I go back, and even though I put my Japanese address down on the form they accepted my UK licence. The address is my flat that I'm renting out. I've also used it in various European countries, also with my Japanese address.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

This (driving ...offtopic) is a grey area and covered on the wiki.

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... t_of_Japan

As is voting in the UK
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... esentation

No Americans have documented how to do it in the US yet, though.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

What what what? I had to exchange my UK licence when I got my J one. How come some of you still have yours?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

banders wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:17 am What what what? I had to exchange my UK licence when I got my J one. How come some of you still have yours?
You had to give up your international driving permit, surely? Japan has no say over another country's documents. When I got my licence converted I presented it as proof and then the driving center here in Sendai gave it back.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

:shock: It was a long time ago and I've haven't seen it since, so I assumed I had to hand it over.

So where the hell did it go....? :?

*heads to the storage cupboard*
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

banders wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:17 am What what what? I had to exchange my UK licence when I got my J one. How come some of you still have yours?
I kept mine too.
As others have stated, the paper part is still technically valid but I wouldn't want to try and drive with it in the UK without a photo card. And I decided not to lie about having a current UK address in order to keep a UK license. If we ever moved back, I would just apply again somehow, I presume.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.