Rakuten iDeCo - Fund Allocation Help

Bushiman
Veteran

Rakuten iDeCo - Fund Allocation Help

Post by Bushiman »

Hello RetireJapan...
I don't know where I'd be without this site -the information is invaluable. Thank you.
I've read the RetireJapan iDeco guide, and just started The Millionaire Teacher to try and get a better (proper) understanding of my finances...

Anyway, I've just sent my application away to open a Rakuten iDeCo and am now trying to decide where/how my funds will be allocated...

I'm 37, a directly hired ALT at a JHS so my maximum monthly instalment is ¥12,000.
I'm thinking of breaking my portfolio into 70% Equity, 20% Bonds and 10% REITS. (Forgive any finance jargon mistakes, I seriously had no clue about any of this two weeks ago, and it's almost like learning a new language...)

Any advice or blaring mistakes, please help!

With the limited products available from Rakuten I've come up with this:

Portfolio:
42% 030 Rakuten · National Stock Index · Fund (VTI) for the US market (E.F. = 0.1696%)
14% 031 Rakuten · Worldwide Equity Index · Fund (VT) to give me some exposure to European/emerging markets (E.F. =0.2296%)
BUT, I've been reading (trying to understand) about triple taxation on this fund!? Is this correct? Japan won't tax me as it's in a tax-free iDeCo, no?
14% 003 Tawara no-load Nikkei 225 for the pure Domestic market (E.F. =0.1836%)

20% Tawara no-load advanced bond ticket for overseas bonds (E.F. = 0.1836%) from what I'm reading, domestic bonds aren't worth it...

10% Mitsui Sumitomo · DC Japan REIT Index Fund (E.F. = 0.2808%)

The whole triple taxation thing has me worried... Should it?
I'm wondering whether to switch out the Rakuten Worldwide Equity Index for:
011 Tawara no-load developed country stock (E.F. = 0.216%) as this is not a VT fund wrapped by a domestic company like Rakuten's offering (is it?)

Am I overcomplicating things? I want something I can set in motion, and leave mostly as is...
Should I just go with US, Domestic, Overseas Bonds instead?

I also read up on things like the Sharpe Ratio and Information Ratios...
Are they really worth looking at? I mean it really can't be as simple as:
Sharpe Ratio >1 is considered 'acceptable to good'. >2 is very good. >3 is excellent.
Information Ratio <0.4 is not a good investment. 0.4< I.R. <0.6 is good. Anything over 0.6 is excellent

As you can see, I'm new to this game, but willing to learn. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks for your time!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...