A friend lost her Zairyu card abroad

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Deep Blue
Veteran

Re: A friend lost her Zairyu card abroad

Post by Deep Blue »

I don’t think the friend was paranoid at all. I think there is a very high chance she would have been denied boarding by the airline. Those landing slips can be filled out and stapled by anyone in any passport - you can take as many as you want every time you depart Japan. I always have a few in my travel case so I fill them in ahead of time rather than do it at the departure Immigration gate. They are not proof of right of residence in Japan.. is the part stapled to a passport even stamped with a inkan?
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Deep Blue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:35 am I don’t think the friend was paranoid at all. I think there is a very high chance she would have been denied boarding by the airline. Those landing slips can be filled out and stapled by anyone in any passport - you can take as many as you want every time you depart Japan. I always have a few in my travel case so I fill them in ahead of time rather than do it at the departure Immigration gate. They are not proof of right of residence in Japan.. is the part stapled to a passport even stamped with a inkan?
The information is entered digitally, the stapled card is just a receipt. If you lose it it is not a big deal.

Either your passport or Zaiyu card should bring up all the relevant information.

(This is my understanding, the cards USED to be 100% paper/no digital record {pre 2016}).
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:20 am
The information is entered digitally, the stapled card is just a receipt. If you lose it it is not a big deal.

Either your passport or Zaiyu card should bring up all the relevant information.

(This is my understanding, the cards USED to be 100% paper/no digital record {pre 2016}).
Yes, but the airline doesn’t have access to this Immigration system…. That’s the point, you are just repeating what was said in post 2 of this thread.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Deep Blue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:58 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:20 am

Yes, but the airline doesn’t have access to this Immigration system…. That’s the point, you are just repeating what was said in post 2 of this thread.
I understand. I do not see any issue with the system.

You do not think the airline should have access to Japanese immigration information, right?

You have the Zaiyu card, the stapled "receipt", and your passport (which most likely is also stamped).

Airliners have a nearly absolute right to reject passengers. I do not think any changes on the Japanese side would affect this.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Passports aren’t stamped now. The only way an airline has to verify your residence status is the zairyu card. If you lose this, having a requirement to have a friend go to Immigration in Japan seems like a cobbled together poorly thought out solution to me.

Seems likely that the zairyu card was developed without the input of anyone who might use them… reminds me of the joke that zairyu cards can’t accept a hyphen in a name so condemning any foreigner with a hyphenated name to a life of mismatched official names in Japan.

These sorts of issues should have been solved in system design but Japanese folk never have to prove residency status in Japan when checking in at airline desks so designing a foolproof system wasn’t a priority… just like Japanese don’t have hyphenated names so they don’t think of the requirement to support them.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Deep Blue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:22 am Passports aren’t stamped now. The only way an airline has to verify your residence status is the zairyu card. If you lose this, having a requirement to have a friend go to Immigration in Japan seems like a cobbled together poorly thought out solution to me.

Seems likely that the zairyu card was developed without the input of anyone who might use them… reminds me of the joke that zairyu cards can’t accept a hyphen in a name so condemning any foreigner with a hyphenated name to a life of mismatched official names in Japan.

These sorts of issues should have been solved in system design but Japanese folk never have to prove residency status in Japan when checking in at airline desks so designing a foolproof system wasn’t a priority… just like Japanese don’t have hyphenated names so they don’t think of the requirement to support them.
They stamped my passport, and my kids, 3 days ago at Haneda.

I agree about all the name stuff though.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I just went to check what is actually in my passport, and - fucks sake - it's gone missing. I keep all the eight passports we have in one place in a folder in my desk drawer and there are now only seven. All of my family deny touching it and I don't remember doing anything with it since I used it last summer to re-enter Japan. Grrrr. At least this thread helped me notice this before I need to travel next quarter, so plenty of time to get a replacement if it doesn't show up in the next week.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

On a slight side point, what is going to happen when you lose your all-encompassing 'My number card' health insurance, driving license, proof of residency and tax documents- we are going to be well and truly buggered.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:31 am On a slight side point, what is going to happen when you lose your all-encompassing 'My number card' health insurance, driving license, proof of residency and tax documents- we are going to be well and truly buggered.
It's ok you'll be able to get it embedded in your wrist 🤖
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:31 am On a slight side point, what is going to happen when you lose your all-encompassing 'My number card' health insurance, driving license, proof of residency and tax documents- we are going to be well and truly buggered.
Hopefully the procedures for issuing a replacement will be made very easy, something that can be done on the spot on city halls or similar.