A friend lost her Zairyu card abroad

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Deep Blue
Veteran

Re: A friend lost her Zairyu card abroad

Post by Deep Blue »

goran wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:56 pm
So, if you possess Mynumber card and lose it, then you don't have a secondary option.
So, same as the current situation then? If you lose your healthcare card, you need a replacement as there is no secondary option?
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Tokyo35 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 pm Update :

My friend successfully checked in and boarded her flight to Japan via Doha. The airline DID want to see the police report, the photo of her Zairyu card that she stores on her smartphone, and the document I got from Immigration a week ago stating she is entitled to reside and work in Japan until 2027.

MC
Did your friend feel the photo and police report were enough? They would obviously want to see the immigration report IF she had it with her.

This process is sadly incredibly subjective, as the airline has 100% authority here.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Deep Blue wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:21 pm
goran wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:56 pm
So, if you possess Mynumber card and lose it, then you don't have a secondary option.
So, same as the current situation then? If you lose your healthcare card, you need a replacement as there is no secondary option?
Mynumber card is the secondary option right now. (obviously only for people who possess it)
And also the risk is diversified, as every thing has a different card. (although I am a fan of simplifying things into 1 digital ID, be it card or QR code or whatever)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

My friend successfully checked in and boarded her flight to Japan via Doha. The airline DID want to see the police report, the photo of her Zairyu card that she stores on her smartphone, and the document I got from Immigration a week ago stating she is entitled to reside and work in Japan until 2027.

MC
This is great news!
I wish the police report and zairyu card photo was sufficient for resolving these kinds of issues.
Tokyo35
Regular

Post by Tokyo35 »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:40 am

MC
Did your friend feel the photo and police report were enough? They would obviously want to see the immigration report IF she had it with her.

This process is sadly incredibly subjective, as the airline has 100% authority here.
She showed them everything she had including the immigration report (the document I got on her behalf showing her residency until 2027). The way she put it was she couldn't have boarded without the document I got for her (and which Tokyo Immigration did NOT feel she needed). Obviously it all depends on the strength of the passport. People entitled to get a tourist visa upon landing would be no risk to the airline, I guess. The airline gave her the impression they wouldn't have allowed her to travel without all the documents she furnished them with.

MC
Tokyo35
Regular

Post by Tokyo35 »

goran wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:39 am

MC
This is great news!
I wish the police report and zairyu card photo was sufficient for resolving these kinds of issues.
You're right. My friend was lucky she could depend on me to get the documents for her from Tokyo Immigration and I was able to do that only by rearranging my schedule. Not everyone might be so lucky. I guess the thing to take away from this is : don't lose the card !
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Great to hear this was successfully resolved.
Tokyo35
Regular

Post by Tokyo35 »

kuma wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:29 am Great to hear this was successfully resolved.
Thank you.

MC