new nisa general questions

bryanc
Veteran

new nisa general questions

Post by bryanc »

sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but just wanted to ck..

T-Nisa - is the max i can put in a month 10万?
therefore if i want to max out this year then i need to start this month?

for regular nisa i can just put in the full 240万now cant i?(no monthly limit)

junior nisa understand has died-can U18 now not have accounts?

thanks
beanhead
Sage

Re: new nisa general questions

Post by beanhead »

1) You can use the bonus feature. Others have suggested setting the tsumitate to 100yen per month and then adding extra as a 'bonus' once or twice a year. (I have not done this yet myself).

2) Yes, you can fill up the 240万 whenever you like.

3)no tax-advantaged accounts.
You can set up a child account linked to a parent account for them. Only regular/tokutei accounts available until they hit 18 and can get an 'adult' NISA.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

thanks!
can the bonus amount for the T-nisa be any amount??
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

bryanc wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:33 am thanks!
can the bonus amount for the T-nisa be any amount??
So long as it doesn't take you over the Y1.2M limit for Tsumitate for the Year, based on the other already scheduled payments to the end of the year.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

understood-hence the 100yen and using the bonus function.. ingenious
styxomaniac
Regular

Post by styxomaniac »

Can you rebalance your portfolio by buying the same ETF/fund in your Growth NISA if your Tsumitate NISA is already maxed out for the year? Are they treated as two separate accounts? I know it doesn't ultimately matter since both NISAs are under my name, but I'm curious if the same ETF holdings will be combined by the end of the year.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

styxomaniac wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:06 pm Can you rebalance your portfolio by buying the same ETF/fund in your Growth NISA if your Tsumitate NISA is already maxed out for the year? Are they treated as two separate accounts? I know it doesn't ultimately matter since both NISAs are under my name, but I'm curious if the same ETF holdings will be combined by the end of the year.
You cannot buy ETFs in the Tsumitate portion of the NISA as far as I understand.

You can buy the same investment in the Growth portion that you already own in the Tsumitate portion.

The question about accounts is tricky. They are the same NISA account, but it also keeps track of which portion you bought the investment in, purely for the purposes of calculating your remaining tax free allowances.
styxomaniac
Regular

Post by styxomaniac »

My bad, I thought the eMaxis Slim All Country etc. was an ETF.

If, by the end of the year when I'm doing my rebalancing, I notice that one of my funds is overweighted and my Tsumitate NISA allowance is already maxed out, can I buy the same fund in the Growth NISA for rebalancing?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

adamu wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:44 pm You can buy the same investment in the Growth portion that you already own in the Tsumitate portion.
Yes, assuming you have enough remaining allowance for the growth portion.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Another approach for rebalancing is to adjust your future monthly tsumitate purchases, until such a time as your balance as back as you want it to be. Eg stop buying your outperformer until your underperformed allocation catches up.

You could even buy in your taxable account too, if you had already used both your tsumitate and growth NISA allowances. But you might prefer to just wait until the new year and use a fresh nisa growth allowance for rebalancing.

In the end, the asset allocation you want to aim for is entirely up to you, and your personal balance is the combination of your holdings in all accounts.

Some might think of iDeCo as being a separate strategy since one typically won’t be able to access it until the retirement age. Personally I think of it all as my single portfolio, and prioritize buying the growthier assets in the different tax advantaged accounts.

If one is just buying a single all country fund though, there is nothing to even rebalance. (I assume you are buying some different types of asset class funds.)