JNR Nisa has ended- what is the best option for my childre.

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
9%Chuhi
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

JNR Nisa has ended- what is the best option for my childre.

Post by 9%Chuhi »

I maxed out my daughter`s JNR Nisa last year and I have another kid on the way.
I wish to put around half of her Otoshidama into the stock market - she will have it all when shes 18.

What do you suggest is the best account/ service to use?
TokyoWart
Veteran

Re: JNR Nisa has ended- what is the best option for my childre.

Post by TokyoWart »

You can always use a regular taxable brokerage account for your kids. We did that back before the Junior NISA started and were very happy with the results.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

I have a very similar question. My kids have Junior NIsas. I invest in All-Country for them. They also have investments in their taxable account in their names. This is their "college fund".

However, their Otoshidama is their money, given in cash by relatives. I feel I should be more conservative. They may "want" this money in 5-10 years, so I suppose I should keep the risk down. However, keeping it in cash also feels like a disservice to them.

How would you invest your 1-year-old 3000 yen in pocket money from a distant aunt?

Half invested, half in cash for comparison? Maybe I will choose a different fund just to differentiate?
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Haha yes my kids have a few man yen in their bank accounts, and they know about it since we take them to deposit it at the bank so they get a taste of the habit of putting money aside, rather than spending it as soon as possible.

But they never have yet asked if they can get some of that money out yet. That will surely change one day.

It’s a small amount of money, but I do wonder if I shouldn’t just invest it in something, and explain to them when the day comes and they ask - I will lend them the cash if they want it and it needs be had quickly!
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:52 am
How would you invest your 1-year-old 3000 yen in pocket money from a distant aunt?

Half invested, half in cash for comparison? Maybe I will choose a different fund just to differentiate?
Wait until they are teenagers.
I have explained investing and compound interest to mine. They have seen the growth in their accounts in just a few years. They like the idea.

However, they want to have their cake and eat it too.
One gave me some money from otoshidama and said 'please put this away for me so it grows'.
I replied OK, so you don't need this money for a while, then, right?
The answer was, unfortunately, 'I may need it to buy a new iPhone in a year or two'...

Back to the drawing board for me as a teacher of investing principles.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

9%Chuhi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:06 am I maxed out my daughter`s JNR Nisa last year and I have another kid on the way.
I wish to put around half of her Otoshidama into the stock market - she will have it all when shes 18.

Well before the wonderful world of NISA, we opened an account with Seison, world wide fund, then when the child allowance started, we decided to pretend we never got that money and let them take it from our bank every month.We never had it before, so we wouldn't miss it. Even with the tax paid on withdrawal, we were very happy. I think the Seison account was a vanguard thingy me bob. We took some money out to fill last years Junior NISA for one kid, and we also took money out to put into the oldest NISA.( but they don't know about it.Shhhhhhhuuuuuuu). They'll get it when I'm meeting Paul at the pearly gates, or Lucifer at the other gate. :lol:
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Bubblegun wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:26 am
9%Chuhi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:06 am I maxed out my daughter`s JNR Nisa last year and I have another kid on the way.

. We took some money out to fill last years Junior NISA for one kid, and we also took money out to put into the oldest NISA.( but they don't know about it.Shhhhhhhuuuuuuu). They'll get it when I'm meeting Paul at the pearly gates, or Lucifer at the other gate. :lol:

When they turn 18, your password for the junior Nisa and junior trading account stops working.

Your "adult" child is mailed a login account, for "their" new account.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:49 am

. We took some money out to fill last years Junior NISA for one kid, and we also took money out to put into the oldest NISA.( but they don't know about it.Shhhhhhhuuuuuuu). They'll get it when I'm meeting Paul at the pearly gates, or Lucifer at the other gate. :lol:

When they turn 18, your password for the junior Nisa and junior trading account stops working.

Yes, that's right. Most teens aren't that interested. Unless they turn out like Jacob Reese Mogg. Brrrrrrr.God forbid! Anyway, We set it up, He knows about it, and he forgets about it, and shows no interest in it. Which is a good thing! We'll let it sit there until he shows an interest in it. Some adults aren't able to manage money, for example medical reasons, or brained farts. :D
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Bubblegun wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:09 pm

Yes, that's right. Most teens aren't that interested. Unless they turn out like Jacob Reese Mogg. Brrrrrrr.God forbid! Anyway, We set it up, He knows about it, and he forgets about it, and shows no interest in it. Which is a good thing! We'll let it sit there until he shows an interest in it. Some adults aren't able to manage money, for example medical reasons, or brained farts. :D
Just be prepared. It's legally 100% theirs at 18. If they want to go traveling with it, it's their legal right etc etc.

Yes, that will be interested in that pile of free money at 18... :D

Not necessarily the investing part.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:02 pm
Bubblegun wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:09 pm

Just be prepared. It's legally 100% theirs at 18. If they want to go traveling with it, it's their legal right etc etc.

Yes, that will be interested in that pile of free money at 18... :D

Not necessarily the investing part.
Oh Totally! They are most certainly interested in free money.LOL If they want to use it for travelling, I'd be ok with that. So long as it's not used on Booze, broads,backy, and a Bugatti.lol.