JNR Nisa has ended- what is the best option for my childre.

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
beanhead
Sage

Re: JNR Nisa has ended- what is the best option for my childre.

Post by beanhead »

Bubblegun wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 am So long as it's not used on Booze, broads,backy, and a Bugatti.lol.
Could be worse. They could waste it...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

beanhead wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:19 am
Bubblegun wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 am So long as it's not used on Booze, broads,backy, and a Bugatti.lol.
Could be worse. They could waste it...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Totally!
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
tokyojoe
Regular

Post by tokyojoe »

Before looking at investment choices, you might want to first consider whether it is a good idea to invest
(directly) for your children at all.
I did put some money into Junior ISAs , but I think now that it was maybe not the
best decision to do so. This youtube video explains some of the issues, albeit with a UK focus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYzfGeeOJfs

What I have also done is invest the few man yen the children have received as pocket money from
their grandparents in a regular investment account (in a global index). I have used this to
encourage them to appreciate the benefits of investing (they regularly ask me how much is in the account etc.),
while at the same time it is no great loss if they decide to blow it as soon as they get control of it .
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

tokyojoe wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:02 am Before looking at investment choices, you might want to first consider whether it is a good idea to invest
(directly) for your children at all.
I did put some money into Junior ISAs , but I think now that it was maybe not the
best decision to do so. This youtube video explains some of the issues, albeit with a UK focus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYzfGeeOJfs

What I have also done is invest the few man yen the children have received as pocket money from
their grandparents in a regular investment account (in a global index). I have used this to
encourage them to appreciate the benefits of investing (they regularly ask me how much is in the account etc.),
while at the same time it is no great loss if they decide to blow it as soon as they get control of it .
Interesting video, but I think as long as you educate (brainwash?) your kids, getting them started as soon as possible is one hell of a gift. I expect my granddaughter to leave her junior NISA holdings invested until retirement. She's 11 now, but we have started talking about it.

I will report back in seven years and see how we do :?

I do agree that people who are not maxing out their own accounts should probably start there before worrying about the kids.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)