Paperwork associated with tokutei investing

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Randomletters

Paperwork associated with tokutei investing

Post by Randomletters »

Hi

I have been in the fortunate position to max the growth segment of Nisa out already, and I have some remaining funds, which I'm considering putting into the tokutei account.

Perhaps a silly question, but assuming I chose "tax withholding" when I set up my account, is there any further paperwork down the line I'm not aware of (e.g. kakutei shinkoku declarations). Minimising paperwork is certainly a strategic goal!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Paperwork associated with tokutei investing

Post by Tkydon »

If you have maxed out the growth segment of NISA out already, you could set a low monthly contribution for the Tsumitate Portion and make a Bonus Contribution immediately for the difference between the total of planned monthly contributions and the annual limit for the Tsumitate Portion of Y1.2M.

If you chose "tax withholding" when you set up your account, there is no further paperwork down the line if you accept the Rates of Tax Withholding and taxes withheld. If you needed to claim a different tax rate, then you would have the option to file the Kakutei Shinkoku to claim the different rates of tax, deductions, allowances, etc. to claim a tax refund if applicable.
Last edited by Tkydon on Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

In general, no further paperwork required.

There are rare cases where assets get moved to an ippan kouza. In that situation you might end up needing to do a tax return.

There are also situations (some of them mentioned by Tkydon above) where depending on the investments and your situation, doing a tax return would be beneficial, but it's not required.
Randomletters

Post by Randomletters »

Awesome, thanks guys!
That was basically what I thought, but I thought it better to check, rather than rushing ahead.

"Set and forget" is my preferred mantra!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Randomletters wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:55 pm Awesome, thanks guys!
That was basically what I thought, but I thought it better to check, rather than rushing ahead.

"Set and forget" is my preferred mantra!
Someone after my own heart (I am profoundly lazy).

Make sure you choose the 源泉徴収あり option.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)