HMRC Mistakes and issues (UK)

beanhead
Sage

HMRC Mistakes and issues (UK)

Post by beanhead »

Just saw this today about Fujitsu and the post office scandal:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61020075

This may explain a few things...

The firm supplies large IT systems to the tax authority HMRC, the Department for Work and Pensions and other parts of government, Mr Collins explains.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Tkydon
Sage

Re: HMRC Mistakes and issues (UK)

Post by Tkydon »

The issue of the bugs in the software provided by Fujitsu, and the convictions of Sub-Post Masters has been going on now for many years.

I don't think this is related to the current delays in responses from the HMRC regarding back payment of pension contributions. I think they are simply overwhelmed by the current demand after announcements that were made a couple of years ago.

Current lead time is over 1 year from sending letter to receiving response...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Tkydon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:23 pm The issue of the bugs in the software provided by Fujitsu, and the convictions of Sub-Post Masters has been going on now for many years.

I don't think this is related to the current delays in responses from the HMRC regarding back payment of pension contributions. I think they are simply overwhelmed by the current demand after announcements that were made a couple of years ago.

HMRC are very good at getting cash of you, you cannot complete your online tax return until you have completed it with your bank information and any tax owed is on its way to HMRC. Payment by cash or cheque are forbidden. (Still pay for my voluntary NICs by cheque)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Tkydon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:23 pm The issue of the bugs in the software provided by Fujitsu, and the convictions of Sub-Post Masters has been going on now for many years.

Yes, understood that this is unrelated. Just a (failed) attempt at humour.

And agreed, the backlog is just due to the volume. 1 year is insane.

I was actually referring to the fact that they seem to make admin errors fairly frequently, so we all need to watch them like the Shonan hawks.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Any recent updates I may be unaware of regarding the whole issue of Class 2 voluntary contributions possibly being phased out?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:59 pm Any recent updates I may be unaware of regarding the whole issue of Class 2 voluntary contributions possibly being phased out?
The proposal was to eliminate compulsory Class 2 for a certain category of self-employed people in the UK, voluntary contributions were never going to be affected.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:19 am
Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:59 pm Any recent updates I may be unaware of regarding the whole issue of Class 2 voluntary contributions possibly being phased out?
The proposal was to eliminate compulsory Class 2 for a certain category of self-employed people in the UK, voluntary contributions were never going to be affected.
Thanks for clearing this up!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
IloveJapan
Regular

Post by IloveJapan »

Oh…so fhis means that even after April 2024 people can still apply (for the first time) to make class 2 contributions, if they are living outside the UK? Is that right?
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

IloveJapan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:30 pm Oh…so fhis means that even after April 2024 people can still apply (for the first time) to make class 2 contributions, if they are living outside the UK? Is that right?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dead ... april-2025

Until April 5th 2025 it seems.

Just to clarify, you can apply anytime even after 2025. The significance is the extended period you can pay back for. The 2006-2016 period. That’s the deal currently on the table. After April 2025 it drops to the past 6 years.
"That guy"
IloveJapan
Regular

Post by IloveJapan »

Thank you for the link, Moneymatters. Greatly appreciated.

Actually what I was trying to confirm was whether:

1) In the period between April 2024 and April 2025, a person living outside the UK could (for the first time) apply to do class 2 contributions?

Or:
2) Whether the right to apply for class 2 contributions expires in April 2024, including for people outside the UK?