NISA General Questions | SBI

TJKansai
Veteran

Re: NISA General Questions | SBI

Post by TJKansai »

I am looking for suggestions on how to simplify these accounts, as my wife has 3 different investments in the same fund 三菱UFJ-eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー).

1. 金額/特定預り
2. 金額/NISA預り(つみたて投資枠)
3. 金額/旧つみたてNISA預り

I think that it makes sense to sell #1 (which is taxable) and put the funds into the new #2 "Growth/Tsumitate NISA"

Not sure what to do with #3. I think suggestions on this website have been to leave it there until the old Tsumitate expires (another 15 years, perhaps?).

Does this make sense?

PS I was going to attach a screenshot but got a message the board has reached its quota for attachments.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

If she can fund her new NISA investment without selling the taxable account, I’d do that.

If she can’t and wants to use the tax free allowance, then ok selling the taxable balance makes sense.

If her profits in taxable are less than 200,000 yen she can possibly get around paying any tax at all.

No reason to sell the older NISA balance, I think. It’s only complicated because the tax system itself has made things complicated :)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

styxomaniac wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:18 pm I want to give back to this community that's been very helpful.
You are very welcome to create a wiki account and create articles there, if so inclined.
sutebayashi wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:58 am No reason to sell the older NISA balance, I think.
Indeed. It's best to leave it to defer capital gains as long as possible. And it's also extra tax free allowance in addition to the 18M new NISA allowance.
styxomaniac
Regular

Post by styxomaniac »

Hello everyone,

I have a potentially dumb question. Right now, the Yen is weaker compared to the Dollar. If the Yen strengthens, will this positively affect my investment in a Yen-denominated, unhedged index fund like the eMaxis Slim S&P500 down the line? For example, if 10 years from now $1 equals ¥110, would that be favorable to my investment?
I've been doing this in Japanese but often stumble.
What are you using to view it in English?
I use Google Chrome with the translation turned on 😆
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

styxomaniac wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:38 am Right now, the Yen is weaker compared to the Dollar. If the Yen strengthens, will this positively affect my investment in a Yen-denominated, unhedged index fund like the eMaxis Slim S&P500 down the line? For example, if 10 years from now $1 equals ¥110, would that be favorable to my investment?
The yen price of your fund would fall if the yen strengthens assuming the value of the fund was the same, so you would be worse off in yen terms.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
CluelessToshika
Regular

Post by CluelessToshika »

So, I have (after some tedious confusion over a number on my zairyu card) finally got an SBI account with NISA, and am blundering around trying to make sense of it all.

Specifically I'm trying to work out how to set up a tsumitate thing, and according to this Youtube video (links to the relevant bit of the video, I prepared a screenshot but the forum software won't let me upload it) I should have four options including "つみたてNISA買付", but I only have the three options on the left. Could that be because the account is new and the account is still 仮開設 awaiting the results of the tax office check?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

CluelessToshika wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:19 pm according to this Youtube video (links to the relevant bit of the video, I prepared a screenshot but the forum software won't let me upload it) I should have four options including "つみたてNISA買付", but I only have the three options on the left.
That screenshot is out of date. You should click the green 積立買付 button, and then when placing the order choose NISA(つみたて投資枠).
CluelessToshika wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:19 pm the account is new and the account is still 仮開設 awaiting the results of the tax office check?
Could also be relevant.
CluelessToshika
Regular

adamu wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:35 pm
CluelessToshika wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:19 pm according to this Youtube video (links to the relevant bit of the video, I prepared a screenshot but the forum software won't let me upload it) I should have four options including "つみたてNISA買付", but I only have the three options on the left.
That screenshot is out of date. You should click the green 積立買付 button, and then when placing the order choose NISA(つみたて投資枠).
Aha, thanks, you are right. I did try clicking on that, but it was late and I was tired. I think I see where my confusion came from.
CluelessToshika
Regular

CluelessToshika wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:18 am it was late and I was tired.
And while in that state I put in an order for the growth part, as I could figure out how to do that, and the site said it will be executed the next day (i.e. today), but where the hell do I find the history for that transaction? All I can find is under "口座サマリー" the purchase sum listed under "現金残高等", and the remaining balance under "買付余力".

Also how long does it take for the order to be executed? I.e. show up e.g. here: https://site.sbisec.co.jp/account/nisa
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

CluelessToshika wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:35 am
CluelessToshika wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:18 am it was late and I was tired.
And while in that state I put in an order for the growth part, as I could figure out how to do that, and the site said it will be executed the next day (i.e. today), but where the hell do I find the history for that transaction? All I can find is under "口座サマリー" the purchase sum listed under "現金残高等", and the remaining balance under "買付余力".

Also how long does it take for the order to be executed? I.e. show up e.g. here: https://site.sbisec.co.jp/account/nisa
It will usually take 3 or 4 business days to execute and settle the trade, depending on domicile of the fund and the underlying assets in the fund.

If you place an order before 3pm on a business day, they will accept your order that day.
If you place an order after 3pm on a business day, or on a weekend or holiday, they will not accept your order until the next business day.

They will then determine the price of a Mutual Fund or Index Fund on the close of the next business day.

They will then settle the transaction and deposit the Units into your account on the next business day for Domestic Funds with Japanese assets, or the next business day after that for funds with foreign assets, assuming it was not an overseas holiday, in which case it may take another business day or two until the overseas markets are open.

Expect it to take up to a week.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.