British expats being able to vote again (registration)

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

British expats being able to vote again (registration)

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Copy and pasted from British expats in Japan. You still face the bureaucracy of your local council if they can get your ballot paper out to you and returned to them within 6 weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote?fbc ... TMatCGHuWY
kuma
Veteran

Re: British expats being able to vote again (registration)

Post by kuma »

Proxy voting is possible. The Electoral Commisson recommends overseas voters consider this.

The voting section on the wiki has been updated to reflect the new rules:

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... esentation
mc_spanner

Post by mc_spanner »

I don't have anyone that I could ask to serve as a proxy, so I just post my vote and cross my fingers. It's not something that I worry about too much as my vote will make no difference to the outcome in a safe seat. I wish I'd moved to a marginal constituency before emigrating.
CluelessToshika
Regular

Post by CluelessToshika »

After an afternoon wrestling inconclusively with another section of the gov.uk website in another matter, I tried signing up for this and got a reference number, so that's one partial win for today at least. Not exactly a marginal constituency so not sure how much weight the vote will have, but better than nothing.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

CluelessToshika wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:18 am After an afternoon wrestling inconclusively with another section of the gov.uk website in another matter, I tried signing up for this and got a reference number, so that's one partial win for today at least. Not exactly a marginal constituency so not sure how much weight the vote will have, but better than nothing.
I actually found it quite easy to sign up for and I got an almost an immediate reply from my local council. When a general election is called you are quite dependent on the efficiency of the local council to get your ballot paper sent out and to you to send it back within the four to six week campaign.
CluelessToshika
Regular

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:13 pm I actually found it quite easy to sign up for and I got an almost an immediate reply from my local council.
Yup, the voter registration was easy enough to sign up for (it was the passport bit which was causing me headaches).
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:13 pm When a general election is called you are quite dependent on the efficiency of the local council to get your ballot paper sent out and to you to send it back within the four to six week campaign.
Democracy in action... Still, at least there's a fighting chance of getting a vote in.
CluelessToshika
Regular

Registered on Sunday, confirmation from the responsible local authority came through just now:
I am writing to confirm that I have received your overseas declaration. You will be registered as an overseas
elector for Twiddledum-on-the-Bypass Constituency until 01-Nov-2026
Which is impressively fast and hassle-free, as such things go.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

CluelessToshika wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:54 am Registered on Sunday, confirmation from the responsible local authority came through just now:
I am writing to confirm that I have received your overseas declaration. You will be registered as an overseas
Whaaat? I did mine the day it became available, crickets from NE Derbyshire 😂
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:53 am
CluelessToshika wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:54 am Registered on Sunday, confirmation from the responsible local authority came through just now:
Potential parliamentary candidate for the Retire Japan party for NE Derbyshire.
CluelessToshika
Regular

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:53 am
Since an administrative error at Vale of Twiddledum Water resulted in caffeine rather than fluoride being added to the water supply, things happen very fast in Twiddledum.