Used cars surprisingly cheap (?)

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
PaulP

Used cars surprisingly cheap (?)

Post by PaulP »

Not quite ready to buy a car but I allowed myself to look at used cars on メルカリ. I am kind of into these boxy four doors that accommodate passengers of my height or taller and some gear. We also have a dog. We have no need drive day-to-day, something to drive out of Tokyo to the mountains or ocean for extended periods. Also no need to go fast, I'm in no hurry.

So looking at things like Honda N-Box or similar vehicles from Toyota, Daihatsu, Suzuki etc. They are incredibly cheap. Like lots of cars for less than 1,000,000 yen. Actually lots for 300,000-400,000 yen. Yes they have 120-180,000 Km (100,000 miles) but they appear very clean. I understand these cars also have smaller engines, but some offer all-wheel-drive.

I have heard the inspections are very thorough and you have spend money to pass. Is that the reason the cars are so cheap? they are in the threshold of bunch of maintenance costs?

And yes I am not sure I will buy a car on メルカリ certainly not without an inspection and test drive.

thanks

-p
SLW
Regular

Re: Used cars surprisingly cheap (?)

Post by SLW »

You are absolutely right that used cars are super cheap in Japan. I think this has to do with 2 things. Japanese people, on the whole, strongly prefer new cars which depresses the price of used ones. Also, in the past many, if not most, used Japanese cars were exported to developing countries. However, in the past decade more and more developing countries where they drive on the right-hand side of the road have made it illegal to import cars with the steering wheel on the right-hand side. This has depressed to market for used Japanese vehicles even further pushing down prices. Enjoy the great deals!
PaulP

Post by PaulP »

Ah. Interesting to learn. thank you.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Second-hand cars are very expensive in the UK now. They drive on the left, same as Japan. Hmm... anyone else see a business opportunity here? :)
PaulP

Post by PaulP »

Sure send me some money and a boat.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

PaulP wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:17 am Sure send me some money and a boat.
In these cases someone might offer that they have a bridge for sale, but probably not one from Japan to UK.

Tho some might try to sell that kind of thing...!
Matt_Black

Post by Matt_Black »

PaulP wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:40 am
So looking at things like Honda N-Box or similar vehicles from Toyota, Daihatsu, Suzuki etc. They are incredibly cheap. Like lots of cars for less than 1,000,000 yen. Actually lots for 300,000-400,000 yen. Yes they have 120-180,000 Km (100,000 miles) but they appear very clean. I understand these cars also have smaller engines, but some offer all-wheel-drive.

I have heard the inspections are very thorough and you have spend money to pass. Is that the reason the cars are so cheap? they are in the threshold of bunch of maintenance costs?

And yes I am not sure I will buy a car on メルカリ certainly not without an inspection and test drive.

-p
Little k-cars/ k-vans are awesome, versatile and cheap to run. However, unless you can maintain and fix the car yourself, I'd look for a lower mileage example. K-cars run 660cc 3-cylinder engines and >150k km is considered high. They will run for a lot longer but require more to keep them roadworthy. The inspection (shaken) is required every 2 years for most cars and can be costly if parts need to be replaced. Again, if you like DIY you can take your vehicle for a user inspection and save quite a bit of money.

Let me also add that unless you get a secondhand car from a private seller (Mercari, Yahoo auctions) or a brand new one from a dealer you won't be able to test drive it before purchasing. Cars at secondhand dealers are deregistered so can't be taken on the road.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:08 am
In these cases someone might offer that they have a bridge for sale, but probably not one from Japan to UK.

I am amazed at the difference in the prices of the same car between the UK and Japan- good 30% to 40% difference on some models.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:17 pm

I am amazed at the difference in the prices of the same car between the UK and Japan- good 30% to 40% difference on some models.
Current UK customs duties on Japanese cars are 10%, but will be eliminated soon.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:52 am
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:17 pm

Current UK customs duties on Japanese cars are 10%, but will be eliminated soon.
plus, the difference in sales tax and VAT rates.