Used cars surprisingly cheap (?)

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
banders
Veteran

Re: Used cars surprisingly cheap (?)

Post by banders »

I would suggest you browse https://www.carsensor.net. You can select makes/types/costs/geographical location to your heart's content.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

I'd say they are cheap for a reason.

Usually they are high mileage, for a regular car maybe 120k kms is not that much but for a Kei car it is. No warranty. Personally were I buy second hand without being a mechanic the way to go are 認定中古. Cars in worse conditions usually end up in Gulliver or smaller shops, the good second hand ones are usually in hands of the brand's.

Taxes are higher on older models and 車検 is pricier. All in all, if you find a good unit then it should last you if maintained.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

In other words, you get what you pay for. The less you pay, the less the seller is prepared to give you any guarantee. Compared to before the pandemic, used car prices have increased a lot due to the delivery delay of new cars. New cars not available = demand for used cars increases.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

I bought mine 6 year second hand from. Honda dealer and it came with a 5 year guarantee that was 4 years ago and am happy with the support
I probably paid more that buying online but like the support and service
Previous second hand I bought from BigMotor and was not happy with that company’s support
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

concerned wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:08 am I bought mine 6 year second hand from. Honda dealer and it came with a 5 year guarantee that was 4 years ago and am happy with the support
Previous second hand I bought from BigMotor and was not happy with that company’s support
Don't get me started on Bigmotor rip off car loans and shakens. Also, very bad for nearby trees which they poisoned, our Mayor had a real go at them and they got a big fine.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:44 pm
concerned wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:08 am I bought mine 6 year second hand from. Honda dealer and it came with a 5 year guarantee that was 4 years ago and am happy with the support
Don't get me started on Bigmotor rip off car loans and shakens. Also, very bad for nearby trees which they poisoned, our Mayor had a real go at them and they got a big fine.
Yep could not agree more, my last Shaken with BigMotor cost 240,000 Yen
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

concerned wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:51 am
Funnily enough that's how much I paid, when I went there once, and only once. The mechanic rings you during the shaken and says all these mechanical things in Japanese, which quite frankly I don't even know in English, and I just have to agree.

Since then, I always gone to a local garage, unfortunately he has just closed down and I have to put my car in for its first shaken after three years, and I am not sure who to use or trust....
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:48 am
concerned wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:51 am

Funnily enough that's how much I paid, when I went there once, and only once. The mechanic rings you during the shaken and says all these mechanical things in Japanese, which quite frankly I don't even know in English, and I just have to agree.

Since then, I always gone to a local garage, unfortunately he has just closed down and I have to put my car in for its first shaken after three years, and I am not sure who to use or trust....
Yep that BigMotor experience sounds familiar
Might be worth asking Autobacs or Yellow Hat for a quote, according to the below reddit they will do a free estimate
https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/comm ... expensive/