Keeping a UK bank account open and active using a family member's UK address

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
danny15

Keeping a UK bank account open and active using a family member's UK address

Post by danny15 »

Hi guys, I am from the UK, but I have lived in Japan for more than 15 years. I still have a UK bank account which is active and it does get used at least once a month, moving small amounts of money around to family in the UK and storing some of my savings etc. But this particular bank wont let me update my address to my Japanese address, so for years now, I have kept the address as my brother's UK address. He is totally fine with this arrangement, and since everything is paperless, the only thing he receives in the post for me is a new ATM card every few years.
Is this kind of setup OK? I have had no issues in 15 years. And I still have a UK mobile number with the SIM in my dual SIM phone in Japan, so sometimes when I need to receive a security code from the bank via SMS, I can receive it with no problems.
I suppose my bank has no idea that I dont reside in the UK, as when I left the UK, I didn't inform them, and was living with my brother at the time.
Should I just keep the setup the way it is currently?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Keeping a UK bank account open and active using a family member's UK address

Post by RetireJapan »

This is a complex issue.

I have had a NatWest account for a very long time (got it when I was 12). They have my address in Japan and my My Number. They send me new debit cards to Japan.

However, recently in the UK banks are increasingly closing accounts of non-residents. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I am half expecting it.

You are likely required to update your address with your bank and provide them with the TIN (tax identifier number) for your country of residence, but they may close your account if you do that. It is in many ways easier just to claim ignorance and leave things as they are.

Anyone else?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
danny15

Re: Keeping a UK bank account open and active using a family member's UK address

Post by danny15 »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:07 am This is a complex issue.

I have had a NatWest account for a very long time (got it when I was 12). They have my address in Japan and my My Number. They send me new debit cards to Japan.

However, recently in the UK banks are increasingly closing accounts of non-residents. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I am half expecting it.

You are likely required to update your address with your bank and provide them with the TIN (tax identifier number) for your country of residence, but they may close your account if you do that. It is in many ways easier just to claim ignorance and leave things as they are.

Anyone else?
Thanks. Well they have my UK address, also they have my TIN, which in the UK is your National Insurance number (which never changes)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

danny15 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:25 am Thanks. Well they have my UK address, also they have my TIN, which in the UK is your National Insurance number (which never changes)
If you live in Japan your UK banks need to have your My Number.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
danny15

Post by danny15 »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:35 am
danny15 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:25 am Thanks. Well they have my UK address, also they have my TIN, which in the UK is your National Insurance number (which never changes)
Thanks, but if you read my original post, you will see that my UK bank does not know I live in Japan
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

danny15 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:39 am Thanks, but if you read my original post, you will see that my UK bank does not know I live in Japan
If the UK bank requires you to be resident in the UK and you aren't... then I suppose you are committing fraud. But is it a crime in this case? I doubt it. I think the worse that can happen is they'll close your account if they find out.

Avoiding tax due in Japan on UK savings and investments is a different matter. Definitely a crime, and definitely to be avoided.
danny15

Post by danny15 »

northSaver wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:55 am
danny15 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:39 am Thanks, but if you read my original post, you will see that my UK bank does not know I live in Japan
If the UK bank requires you to be resident in the UK and you aren't... then I suppose you are committing fraud. But is it a crime in this case? I doubt it. I think the worse that can happen is they'll close your account if they find out.

Avoiding tax due in Japan on UK savings and investments is a different matter. Definitely a crime, and definitely to be avoided.
Thanks, good advice
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

danny15 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:39 am
Thanks, but if you read my original post, you will see that my UK bank does not know I live in Japan
Unless you use a VPN to access your UK bank online services, they can easily send you a CRS request asking you to verify your tax residence and TINs.

All the banks I have had accounts with did this over the past decade as I moved around - HSBC HK, UOB Singapore, SMBC Prestia, and in the UK Lloyds, smile, HSBC and Barclays.

Most of these must have worked it out from the IP address I was accessing online services from.
danny15

Post by danny15 »

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:37 am
danny15 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:39 am

Unless you use a VPN to access your UK bank online services, they can easily send you a CRS request asking you to verify your tax residence and TINs.

All the banks I have had accounts with did this over the past decade as I moved around - HSBC HK, UOB Singapore, SMBC Prestia, and in the UK Lloyds, smile, HSBC and Barclays.

Most of these must have worked it out from the IP address I was accessing online services from.
Thanks. They already have my TIN, which is my National Insurance number