Short Notice, I know... - Tokyo

Tkydon
Sage

Short Notice, I know... - Tokyo

Post by Tkydon »

A few guys from FB Group 'Investing From Japan' are getting together in Meiji Jingu Mae / Harajuku this evening (Thursday 1 Feb 2024) to try out an Investment Game - Robert Kiyosaki's "Cashflow Game', from about 6:00 pm (first time).

I don't recommend other stuff by RK, but the game isn't bad and a good introduction to general investment and accounting principles.

There are a couple of open seats, if anyone is interested...

Depending on response, if there is any / sufficient interest after today's first attempt, we may try to make it a recurring event...

If anyone is interested, I will post location.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: Short Notice, I know... - Tokyo

Post by sutebayashi »

Oh interesting :) I can’t go tonight, but I actually found RK’s RDPD book in my local library (great collection of English books) and was interested in this game, although I wonder if it is still remotely close to reality.

In the “game of life” I play with my kids, the priciest home you can buy is 80 grand, and a 5K life insurance policy eventually turns into 100K in cash towards the end of the game, hahaha, as if. I did get my eldest to start investing recently though, after comparing it to buying stocks in this game… but it is more like a gamble in this game, whereas insurance is way overblown.

(The second part of RK’s book was a kind of interesting read.)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

sutebayashi wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:27 am Oh interesting :) I can’t go tonight, but I actually found RK’s RDPD book in my local library (great collection of English books) and was interested in this game, although I wonder if it is still remotely close to reality.

In the “game of life” I play with my kids, the priciest home you can buy is 80 grand, and a 5K life insurance policy eventually turns into 100K in cash towards the end of the game, hahaha, as if. I did get my eldest to start investing recently though, after comparing it to buying stocks in this game… but it is more like a gamble in this game, whereas insurance is way overblown.

(The second part of RK’s book was a kind of interesting read.)
It is a lot different to the Game of Life, or Monopoly.

There is a simplified version for kids, but the adult version includes accounting and making decisions on assets and cashflow, and with some rule changes for Japan, is definitely relevant.

Divide all prices by 10 and Add Man 万 ;-)
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

I bought 金持ち父さん、貧乏父さん by mistake: it had a whimsical hand-drawn cover and I thought it was a light novel.
Edited to add: ↑That sounded a bit snarky, which wasn't my intention. I liked the book; probably the first self-help book I ever read. I just meant that (as the famous metaphor goes) I judged a book by its cover and was surprised by its contents.
Last edited by AreTheyTheLemmings? on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Small world. I was actually in Harajuku this evening. But just read this thread now.

(I also used to play Cashflow back in the early 2010's - TLDP invest in real estate and you'll get rich)
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Sorry I missed it. I live a 15 minute walk from there but was on a flight to the US. Would be great to have a RetireJapan meet-up in the future.