Brits: sign this petition (foreign spouse related)

Tkydon
Sage

Re: Brits: sign this petition (foreign spouse related)

Post by Tkydon »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:07 pm Only 21 million yen then :lol:

Presumably it's more if you have non-British kids too.
But kids born to a UK Citizen (not to a UK Citizen by Decent born outside the UK and Dependent Territories) are automatically UK Citizen by Decent, regardless of whether you registered their birth at the local Embassy or Consulate, or whether tey have a UK Passport or not.

From the UK Passport thread,

You do not have to register the birth of a UK Citizen Child born overseas at the British Embassy or Consulate, but doing so will provide a Consular Birth Certificate, which confirms the child's UK Citizenship by Decent under Section 2 (1) (a) of the British Nationality Act of 1981 for future reference, so the child can prove UK citizenship even without a passport. There is no deadline to registration, and once registered, this serves as Proof of British Citizenship for life and never expires, unlike a Passport.

Unfortunately, that it not the same for adopted children ;-(

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport ... d-children
Last edited by Tkydon on Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

On positive note, I just got my notification I am registered to vote in the UK again :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tkydon wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:26 pm But kids born to a UK Citizen (not to a UK Citizen by Decent born outside the UK and Dependent Territories) are automatically UK Citizen by Decent, regardless of whether you registered their birth at the local Embassy or Consulate, or whether tey have a UK Passport or not.
Ah, but I was born in Germany, innit.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:27 pm
Tkydon wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:26 pm But kids born to a UK Citizen (not to a UK Citizen by Decent born outside the UK and Dependent Territories) are automatically UK Citizen by Decent, regardless of whether you registered their birth at the local Embassy or Consulate, or whether tey have a UK Passport or not.
Ah, but I was born in Germany, innit.
Was that with the armed forces in Germany? If it was that might count you as a true Brit, not one of decent.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:02 pm Was that with the armed forces in Germany? If it was that might count you as a true Brit, not one of decent.
Nope, I remain a fake Brit ;)

And also not eligible for German citizenship either, dammit.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

I’ve edited an earlier post to reflect the below:
There will no longer be a separate child element to the minimum income requirement, to ensure that British nationals are not treated less favourably than migrants who are required to meet the General Skilled Worker threshold as a flat rate, regardless of any children being sponsored.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fact ... her-detail
Yossarian
Regular

Post by Yossarian »

Well, seems like the remote chance of us moving to the UK is getting even more remote.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I will get one of those boats, and row across the channel with the wife and kids. We will claim refugee status. We have got to the stage where the UK doesn't even want its people, who may want to return home with their families. and I will never complain about Japanese immigration ever again.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

It is a horrible system and utterly pointless to boot. One of the worst policies I can remember in British politics and would be so easy to modify to let genuine families return to the UK. Just waiving the requirements for those married more than seven years or with children would be a simple and effective way to let real families return while still trying to weed out fake/visa scam marriages.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Deep Blue wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm It is a horrible system and utterly pointless to boot. One of the worst policies I can remember in British politics and would be so easy to modify to let genuine families return to the UK. Just waiving the requirements for those married more than seven years or with children would be a simple and effective way to let real families return while still trying to weed out fake/visa scam marriages.
That's a decent idea regarding a time married requirement. I wonder how many other countries put such high hurdles in front of their own citizens living in their own country with their families.