Brits: sign this petition (foreign spouse related)

kuma
Veteran

Re: Brits: sign this petition (foreign spouse related)

Post by kuma »

Deep Blue wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm I wonder how many other countries put such high hurdles in front of their own citizens living in their own country with their families.
See https://www.mipex.eu/family-reunion

Spoiler alert: UK is second from bottom. Denmark is last.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

I knocked into a Hungarian at Starbucks a couple of weeks ago. We were chatting and he told me, he had 'right to remain' in the UK before Brexit. He had a Japanese spouse (she did not have the right to remain) and they had met in the UK. They had come back to Japan and had a son here, who was autistic. The Hungarian husband was not happy with what was on offer in terms of support for his son or his employment opportunities (he is a chef) available to him in Japan and they had decided to return to the UK, apparently what is on offer in the UK is more enticing than Victor Orban's Hungary.

Anyway, he told me because of his right to remain and the Brexit agreement; all EU citizens could bring non-EU spouses to the UK without any evidence of salary or savings to support their family. It seems that EU citizens have greater privileges in the UK than British citizens themselves- So much for taking back control Boris!!!
IloveJapan
Regular

Post by IloveJapan »

You know guys, I thought I was dreaming when I read this news.

I agree that it is a horrible infringement of human rights if people have to choose between caring for elderly parents and being with a spouse. It also serves to remind me, and maybe you guys too, that Japan has been very kind to us.

I often wonder whether the global image of the UK as a bastion of democracy and human rights is really justified any more.

I’m even more incredulous that these policies are being introduced by a leader who himself hails from an ethnic minority. I think it goes to show that he does not have a great deal of power, but is being controlled by very right-wing elements of his party, the Brexit faction among them.

In order for the UK to change the path it is going down, it will have to get rid of its right-wing tabloid press. So I ask you guys, what is the chance of that?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

IloveJapan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:57 pm I often wonder whether the global image of the UK as a bastion of democracy and human rights is really justified any more.
Never was ;)

Remember Sunak is one of the richest people in Britain, through his wife. Class trumps ethnicity now in the UK.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)