Preparing to arrange finances before move to retire in Japan...

This forum is to discuss issues pertinent to US citizens and green card holders, including investing, taxes, etc.
yamoinca
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Preparing to arrange finances before move to retire in Japan...

Post by yamoinca »

Hello,

Looking for any advice/pitfalls/recommendations (Japan/US Tax Planners) as we plan our transition to Japan for retirement.
Current Green Card holder (Canadian Citizenship) but will apply for US Citizenship this year.
Wife is Green Card holder (Japan Citizenship, been outside of Japan for over 30 years).
Currently living in (mortgaged home) in California, plan on selling prior to move.
We jointly own a condo (our previous primary residence, currently rented out) in Canada which we will also likely sell before moving.
Have some accounts in Canada (eg for Condo expenses and RRSP).

We did a buy a home (outright) in Japan in 2023 which will be our retirement home.
Currently, brother in law has utilities in his name/account and we hired tax person local to the home to deal with taxes.

I realize that moving and becoming a Japan Tax Person will mean taking a hit on retirement funds, but I'm willing to deal with that rather than try to not become a tax person (while basing our retirement in Japan).

One thing I have gleaned is that we'll want to put/split assets under wife's name (almost everything in US is under my name) before the move.
Current timeline is earliest one year (mid 2025) at which point I'll be 62, wife will be 69 and hoping not to have to plan on any work in Japan to support ourselves.

One thing I'm not that clear on is whether 401K funds vs Roth really matters. Eg would it be worth it to extend our stay in US (post-retirement) to take time to convert 401K to Roth before moving (which seems to be a thing US Tax Persons do anyway to try to avoid/reduce RMDs) or doing that while in Japan (and no other US income) makes sense.

Anyway, appreciate any experience good or bad that people in similar situation may have had wrt how to plan/deal with their US assets before moving to Japan.

Thank you!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Preparing to arrange finances before move to retire in Japan...

Post by RetireJapan »

Are you 100% set on becoming a US citizen? Not doing so would likely save you a lot of trouble if you are planning to live in Japan.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Preparing to arrange finances before move to retire in Japan...

Post by Tkydon »

You really need to speak with a Professional about when would be the best time to liquidate assets and transfer funds to minimize your tax exposure.

Disbursements from a ROTH are Tax Free in the US, but not tax free in Japan, so I don't think there is any advantage to switching from 401k to ROTH.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.