Plan -> Buying a second hand house and renovating.(check list?)

Moneymatters
Veteran

Re: Plan -> Buying a second hand house and renovating.(check list?)

Post by Moneymatters »

tokyojoe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:35 am Dear All,
I was thinking of posting this in the RetireJapan for Dummies section, or as a separate post in
the Real Estate section, but since my position is somewhat similar to that of Tsumitate Wrestler
I thought I may as well put it here.
I just wanted to ask whether anyone can recommend a website / book etc. that introduces the whole process of buying a property in Japan for someone who doesn't know much about it?
Somewhere to get a first heads upon the whole process. I am vaguely familiar with the
UK process / situation (although I have never bought a place anywhere), but of course there
will be many differences with the Japanese situation. The sort of topics I am interested in
include things like:
  • From a financial point of view, how does one calculate the effective cost relative to renting?
    (how to work out when you would be better off renting from a financial viewpoint)
  • How about flats versus houses (leaseholds have a poor reputation in the UK just now, but flats are obviously much more popular in Japan so maybe the situation is better evolved)
  • How best to go about getting financing
  • How about 'surveying' in Japan
  • What to be careful about when buying a 'second-hand' house / flat etc.
  • How mortgage tax relief works, whether one can tune the loan / amount or period to get the best tax relief
etc !
Many thanks in advance.
https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanFinance/w ... al-estate/

See if that shortens your list of questions..
Good luck!
"That guy"
tokyojoe
Regular

Re: Plan -> Buying a second hand house and renovating.(check list?)

Post by tokyojoe »

Dear Moneymatters,
Many thanks, - your reference looks very much like it will shorten my list of questions.
Best wishes!