UK driving licence

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Katana

UK driving licence

Post by Katana »

Dear members,

I hope you are all well.

I am interested to hear from other members who occasionally drive in the UK.
I am a permanent resident in Japan but sometimes drive in the UK when visiting family and friends.

Up until now I have just carried my old green paper licence with my old address on it but I have recently found out that the address should be updated and failure to do so could incur a large fine if caught driving in the UK with it?

* Has anyone updated their licence from the green paper one? How did you go about doing it? What were the costs?

* Has anyone just used their Japanese licence when driving in the UK? Did you need to get it translated?

Thank you in advance for any help / advice you can give.
kuma
Veteran

Re: UK driving licence

Post by kuma »

There’s some info on the wiki:

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... n-resident

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... t_of_Japan

Personally, when driving in the UK as a resident of Japan I have used my Japanese licence with an International Driving Permit. I’ve taken that decision as I’m unsure on the status of my GB licence. As you say, it is meant to be updated with the correct address, yet there is no facility to update to an overseas address.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Whenever I go back to the UK I make sure to get an international driving permit here in Japan before leaving.
I still have my old UK driving licence (pink card one), but it expired a long time ago.
If there is a way to renew my UK licence from Japan, I would be keen to know!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:49 am Whenever I go back to the UK I make sure to get an international driving permit here in Japan before leaving.
I still have my old UK driving licence (pink card one), but it expired a long time ago.
If there is a way to renew my UK licence from Japan, I would be keen to know!
Cannot be renewed from outside the UK. See:
Notes on GB licences whilst non-resident
It can be difficult to find authoritative information on the status of GB licences for non residents. Some considerations are:

* Even if a GB licence is "exchanged" for a Japanese licence, the physical GB licence might be retained (see above)

* DVLA must be informed of change of personal details including change of address (and there can be a fine of up to £1,000 for non compliance)[20]... yet only a GB address can be included on a GB licence

* A GB licence cannot be renewed whilst not resident in GB[21]

* Non-residents (and recent arrivals to GB) cannot apply for GB licences, eg a British citizen resident abroad cannot simply book and take a GB driving test on a visit or short period of residency in Great Britain
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... g_licences

(The numbered references for the sources can be accessed from the wiki page)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yes, you need to get an international permit from the driving license center near you in Japan, and use that with your Japanese license when driving in the UK.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Katana

Post by Katana »

Thanks for the replies
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

This was the reply I got years ago when I asked about renewing my pink card licence:

As you reside in Japan, I regret that we are unable to issue you with a further British licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

I can confirm that if or when you return to the UK as a resident you would be able to renew the licence, I can also confirm that you may drive on the Japanese licence for 12 months from date of entry to the country. The following information may also help.

To enable you to hire a vehicle in GB without your driving licence please ask the car hire company to contact us on the following number for confirmation of your driving licence record.

Telephone number 0906 139 3837

Please be present at the time they ring us for the information. If this is difficult please ring our telephone enquiry line to give prior permission to release your details to the car hire company concerned.

The telephone number you should ring is 0300 790 6801.

Lines are open Monday- Friday 8am- 7.00pm and Saturday 8am- 2pm.

Once permission has been left on your driving licence record the car hire company can ring us for the information they require.

The second part was answering my query about hiring cars and whether I would need an international licence. So it seems you don't actually need an International licence, and can drive for a year on a J-license, but I always get the international permit anyway because I can't imagine the hassle of just having a J-license and having to explain to cops etc.
Katana

Post by Katana »

Took a look at the Japanese DVLA website to find out about getting an international licence for when I am back in the UK, and it states that I have to hand in my old licence when applying. No idea why they would need it, and I'm not that keen on the idea of handing it over.

I'll add an update after I've actually gone through the motions (maybe in a few months time).
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Katana wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:10 pm Took a look at the Japanese DVLA website to find out about getting an international licence for when I am back in the UK, and it states that I have to hand in my old licence when applying. No idea why they would need it, and I'm not that keen on the idea of handing it over.

I'll add an update after I've actually gone through the motions (maybe in a few months time).
You have to return any previous *international driving permits*, not your driving license.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Katana wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:10 pm Took a look at the Japanese DVLA website to find out about getting an international licence for when I am back in the UK, and it states that I have to hand in my old licence when applying. No idea why they would need it, and I'm not that keen on the idea of handing it over.

You go to the office that issued your Japanese Driver's License With your Passport, Travel Ticket, and Japanese Driver's License, and go to the International Driver's Permit Window, pay the fee and receive the International Driver's Permit (green book). No Passport, No International Driver's Permit!

It's valid for 1 year, and you should return it (hand in any old International Permits) (not your Driver's License) when it expires, but no-one seems to bother...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.