UK driving licence

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Seasider4374
Regular

Re: UK driving licence

Post by Seasider4374 »

Can I jump into this post and ask how long an international licence takes to be issued? Is it same day?

And is a travel ticket really necessary, or can a current Japanese licence (plus UK green pink paper licence, if needed), and UK passport, be sufficient?

Sorry to bring the thread into a darker place, but I know there will come a time when I will need to return to the UK to look after a parent in old age, or even worse when losing one...

At that time, my focus I'm sure will be on buying the quickest ticket to get back to the UK. If JP issued international licences require more than a same day production turnaround then that will not be something I attend to, and will rely on taxis in the UK.

However is it possible to attain an international licence without any plans to travel, and then cancel close to the expiry date, and then apply again to hedge the maximum coverage possible?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

At least in Sendai, you can turn up and get it on the spot.

You don't need to cancel, they just expire after a year.

I think they might have wanted to see plane tickets and know where you are planning to go or something but I assume that would be easy to get around.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I don't know the answers, but for the UK you don't technically need the IDP, just the Japanese (or any other) one is fine, so that could be an option at short notice.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Seasider4374 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:24 pm Can I jump into this post and ask how long an international licence takes to be issued? Is it same day?

And is a travel ticket really necessary, or can a current Japanese licence (plus UK green pink paper licence, if needed), and UK passport, be sufficient?

However is it possible to attain an international licence without any plans to travel, and then cancel close to the expiry date, and then apply again to hedge the maximum coverage possible?
“ 運転免許センターで手続した方の国外(国際)運転免許証は即日交付されます” so issued same day from driving license centre.
(But 1-2 weeks if you apply via the police.)

You need something to show you will travel but I’m guessing they don’t phone the airline to confirm your booking.
Obviously I’m not endorsing such behaviour, but you could easily fake a reservation using a previous one. Or book something cheap with 100% cancel policy and then cancel it.

Adam is correct about not needing one in the UK but check and get email confirmation from the rental company before traveling if you go that route.
Maybe even print an “official looking” translation of your license just in case.
I used my Japanese license once without an IDP. They finally gave up believing I lived in the UK…
"That guy"
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

They are working to a process (This is Japan), so you need to show your Japanese Driver's License, your Passport, and your ticket / itinerary. They want to confirm that the International Driver's License is valid for your destination country, as there are two different conventions and International Driver's License types.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:11 am They are working to a process (This is Japan), so you need to show your Japanese Driver's License, your Passport, and your ticket / itinerary. They want to confirm that the International Driver's License is valid for your destination country, as there are two different conventions and International Driver's License types.
I have got an IDP many times and while you have to write your planned dates of travel on the application form I have never once had to show proof of travel. You could write anything. The permit itself is issued there and then (maybe an hour wait as they process) and the date of issue is shown simply on the date you applied, not the date you said you were travelling on the form. It is then valid from the date you receive it. Passport is required and maybe it depends on where it is issued but, as I said, I've never had to show proof of travel. I got one last December as I went hoke at Christmas and put those dates on the form, but if i go this summer it will still be valid.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

My application was denied twice.

Once I was actually traveling, but forgot to take my Passport. I had to go home and collect it and go back again...

and a second time, when I renewed my Driver's License, I also applied for the IDP on the same day, but did not have a trip planned, so they would not issue the IDP.

Better to be prepared so as not to waste a trip ;-)
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:46 am My application was denied twice.

Once I was actually traveling, but forgot to take my Passport. I had to go home and collect it and go back again...

and a second time, when I renewed my Driver's License, I also applied for the IDP on the same day, but did not have a trip planned, so they would not issue the IDP.

Better to be prepared so as not to waste a trip ;-)
Yes, I forgot my passport once and had a wasted journey!
Seasider4374
Regular

Post by Seasider4374 »

Thanks to all the replies! Very helpful - this forum is going to be great help! Thanks everyone
Katana

Post by Katana »

Seasider4374 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:24 pm Can I jump into this post and ask how long an international licence takes to be issued? Is it same day?

Sorry to bring the thread into a darker place, but I know there will come a time when I will need to return to the UK to look after a parent in old age, or even worse when losing one...

At that time, my focus I'm sure will be on buying the quickest ticket to get back to the UK. If JP issued international licences require more than a same day production turnaround then that will not be something I attend to, and will rely on taxis in the UK.

Hi there,

I went to my local driving license centre yesterday and got it done in 15 minutes.
I needed my Japanese licence, my passport, a photograph, and ¥2,350.
I was asked when I would be travelling and I said it would probably be in August. I didn't need to show a plane ticket.
It lasts one year and I was told to hand it in when it expires.

Hope this helps.