Any Tax Liability Triggered When Move To Japan

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
aly262

Any Tax Liability Triggered When Move To Japan

Post by aly262 »

Hello,

I am planning on getting my spouse visa Jun and move to Japan to retire maybe around Sept this year. I have about 500k stock that i would like to sell first before i start apply for spouse visa and move here all in the same year. i would like to transfer all of it over after i arrived in Japan. My understanding is that from another post here, transferring fund itself is not a taxable event. However it may trigger Tax Liability against other Taxable Events in the same Tax Year. I don't quite understand what other tax liability might it have since i sold the stock before applying the spouse visa. Any money that i have earned before Japan is not subjected to tax or am i wrong? Anyone out there can help me understand any tax implication at all. I would be grateful. Tkydon, if you could impart your knowledge here, please help. I appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Any Tax Liability Triggered When Move To Japan

Post by Beaglehound »

As I understand it, as long as any capital gains are realised before you become tax resident in Japan (which is the day you move here) there should be no Japanese taxation on your stock sale, regardless of when the money is remitted here.
aly262

Post by aly262 »

Thanks for confirming. What a relief. I was a little worried about tax man come knocking at the door telling me that i owe taxes.

I do have another question. Does dividends from holding US stocks count as income when calculating the National Health Insurance premiums. A number of articles refer to "total income the insured earned". I can't find an answer anywhere if dividend itself is consider as part of annual income or not.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

aly262 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:33 am I do have another question. Does dividends from holding US stocks count as income when calculating the National Health Insurance premiums. A number of articles refer to "total income the insured earned". I can't find an answer anywhere if dividend itself is consider as part of annual income or not.
Yes.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
aly262

Post by aly262 »

Thanks Tkydon. Do you know if the 183-day rule has any tax implication on my transfer of my money if i happen to move here exceeding that number ?
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:28 am
aly262 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:33 am I do have another question. Does dividends from holding US stocks count as income when calculating the National Health Insurance premiums. A number of articles refer to "total income the insured earned". I can't find an answer anywhere if dividend itself is consider as part of annual income or not.
Yes.
Would that depend on whether the filer chooses separate or combined taxation? (same for residence tax?)