Pending- Law to revoke the permanent residency status of foreign nationals who fail to pay taxes

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Yossarian
Regular

Re: Pending- Law to revoke the permanent residency status of foreign nationals who fail to pay taxes

Post by Yossarian »

goran wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:55 am one more reason to go for naturalization ?
Am I the only one thinking on this line?
No. It makes sense if you're going to be here forever. And with recent UK immigration changes it seems my family will be.
goran
Veteran

Re: Pending- Law to revoke the permanent residency status of foreign nationals who fail to pay taxes

Post by goran »

I am preparing my application to submit in April this year.
All documents from home country ready and content verified by the officer at Legal Affairs, MoJ today.

🤞
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goran wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 am I am preparing my application to submit in April this year.
All documents from home country ready and content verified by the officer at Legal Affairs, MoJ today.

🤞
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

If you would be willing to write a guest post or interview about your experience on the RJ blog after you finish I think a lot of people would be interested :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:53 am
goran wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:39 am I am preparing my application to submit in April this year.

🤞

If you would be willing to write a guest post or interview about your experience on the RJ blog after you finish I think a lot of people would be interested :D
:lol:
I was thinking about updating/adding to the RJ wiki for naturalization.
But I could take a shot at writing a post too. (English is not my first language though)

And I was told that MoJ takes about 12-18 months to go through the process and get to the decision. (I went there twice and met two different officers. One said at least 12 months. Another said about 12-18 months.)
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:53 amIf you would be willing to write a guest post or interview about your experience on the RJ blog after you finish I think a lot of people would be interested :D
Can confirm interest in reading.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

goran wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:20 am

🤞

But I could take a shot at writing a post too. (English is not my first language though)

And I was told that MoJ takes about 12-18 months to go through the process and get to the decision. (I went there twice and met two different officers. One said at least 12 months. Another said about 12-18 months.)
I assume alot has changed after covid but 18 months seems really crazy to me. The rule of thumb used to be 1 full year after your first interview. Is this Tokyo or Nagoya? I heard Nagoya are known for the nationality department being understaffed.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

zeroshiki wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:55 pm
goran wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:20 am

I assume alot has changed after covid but 18 months seems really crazy to me. The rule of thumb used to be 1 full year after your first interview. Is this Tokyo or Nagoya? I heard Nagoya are known for the nationality department being understaffed.
Osaka.
They said they send the documents to Tokyo.
But the interview will be in Osaka. May be they just wanted to emphasize the duration by exaggerating.
Adamakin86
Regular

Post by Adamakin86 »

I wonder if this is a way to get rid of the older foreigners who have retired and can’t afford to pay their health insurance and taxes any more. Forget about everything they have contributed to Japan over the last 40-50 years. They are a drain on society, get rid of them. Very worrying!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Adamakin86 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:50 pm I wonder if this is a way to get rid of the older foreigners who have retired and can’t afford to pay their health insurance and taxes any more. Forget about everything they have contributed to Japan over the last 40-50 years. They are a drain on society, get rid of them. Very worrying!
That seems like a bit of a stretch. Everything I've seen is about wilful nonpayment, not being unable to pay (you generally don't have to pay tax if your income is low enough and health/kaigo insurance are based on income so very low if no income. Someone in that situation would be compliant.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

My opinion is that, this law is bad but not in the ways people in this community are imagining it to be. It's not gonna target retirees or most Westerners who have spent their lives here and/or are in a pinch. They explicitly state that repeated and willful non-payment is what will trigger it.

It will, however, target the Vietnamese laborers who were scammed by their employer and can't pay the tax bill after working 10 years and finally getting PR.