Moving / Investing yen to US

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Telebroker
Regular

Re: Moving / Investing yen to US

Post by Telebroker »

Oreo_no_papa wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:25 am transfer to IB. They let her know that they will need the recipient's name, account, etc, etc, and address. Trouble is, she is the recipient, and the address is in the US, and we think this would tip off MUFG that she no longer has an official Japanese address.
I am frequently transferring from Prestia or SMBC to IBKR. The recipient in case of IBKR is NOT the account holder, but IB. So you only need to provide IB's address. As I am neither a US citizen nor do I have a US residence, I couldn't even provide another "my" US address. You may thus want to double check the payment instructions on IBKR website in the transfer menu. I see no issue in scenario you contemplate wrt waking up sleeping dogs.

BTW: In case of MUFG it is actually cheaper to pre-set the transfer destination online, or do the transfer via Telemadoguchi.

Hope the above helps. Let us know once implemented.
Passive ETF investor and Berkshire shareholder on the way to FI; banking tester in JP and Doitsu.
Oreo_no_papa

Re: Moving / Investing yen to US

Post by Oreo_no_papa »

Telebroker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:23 pm
Oreo_no_papa wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:25 am transfer to IB. They let her know that they will need the recipient's name, account, etc, etc, and address. Trouble is, she is the recipient, and the address is in the US, and we think this would tip off MUFG that she no longer has an official Japanese address.
I am frequently transferring from Prestia or SMBC to IBKR. The recipient in case of IBKR is NOT the account holder, but IB. So you only need to provide IB's address. As I am neither a US citizen nor do I have a US residence, I couldn't even provide another "my" US address. You may thus want to double check the payment instructions on IBKR website in the transfer menu. I see no issue in scenario you contemplate wrt waking up sleeping dogs.

BTW: In case of MUFG it is actually cheaper to pre-set the transfer destination online, or do the transfer via Telemadoguchi.

Hope the above helps. Let us know once implemented.
Good info, thanks. We think it's a case of "depends who your banker is that day". And she's pretty nervous about the whole thing, so I think we're gonna hold off a bit. But will come back to this.

Not sure she has the ability to set it up online, it's a pretty old-fashioned account. Will look into it.

Thanks for the replies!