Self Intro

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Self Intro

Post by captainspoke »

Crypto sucks.

The total value of all bitcoin is not even equal to the value of Apple, a single stock--even with its recent run-up. And apple has something like $150 billion of cash on hand besides.

So do you think it's a good idea to put all your money into something that is not even as 'big' as a single stock?

Do you know how much BTC has been lost? How about this:
Lost Bitcoin refers to BTC that the current owner can't locate, either because they forgot their private key or lost their hardware wallet device. Estimates suggest that around 6 million BTC, or 30% of Bitcoin's supply, have been irretrievably lost, amounting to $554 billion in value.
How much VOO or VT has been similarly lost? --an infinitesimal fraction of 30%, if at all.

Crypto has had a good year? If you're comparing single picks, Nvidia has outperformed it over 1, 2, and 5 year periods. So gee, why didn't you have the evangelical foresight to pick that one stock?

Have you ever heard of an NEMP? Sure, that would affect everything, but crypto would be no salvation if computers and electronic trading got toasted. And a solar blip could do the same thing, without any nukes at all.
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

sutebayashi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:37 am
Yutaka2024 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:17 am i dont advise any one to trade on leverage;
ok, I will ignore what you said about buying a lot of futures contracts then, thanks for the clarification.

My stop order is almost 1,000 bucks above my entry level, so this one isn’t going to destroy my account if it does gets hit this week.

I agree leverage isn’t advisable for long term investments, but I would also say that about certain instruments that often go down more than 5% in one day, too
Or buy Bitcoin :)
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

sutebayashi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:37 am ok, I will ignore what you said about buying a lot of futures contracts then, thanks for the clarification.

My stop order is almost 1,000 bucks above my entry level, so this one isn’t going to destroy my account if it does gets hit this week.
Just close the loop (for now) on my cocoa speculation - I closed my position out today.

It has been an almost relentless rise in cocoa prices over the past month, and I raised my target and stop multiple times, but yesterday’s daily candlesticks on both London and NY cocoa commodity futures finally looked toppish to me, so I just took a profit. The price was up 50% from my entry level.

I perhaps wouldn’t have been in the trade if this thread hadn’t shown up, so I am thankful for that.

More than the lucky trade, which is useless information now, what I did find quite interesting was that the daily funding cost to keep the position rolling over each day was actually very positive - I have some other positions in metals, which cost me to keep them. Cocoa recently is reverse when long - so besides the price increase there was profit too from just having the position open.

This was with Rakuten CFD, and for some reason that I haven’t been able to really understand, the daily funding cost has become increasingly positive in March. Rakuten CFDs documentation only says that they pass on what their cover counterparts give them, so the reason is unclear to me. Presumably it has something to do with the stress in the cocoa market.

Another interesting thing for me was, the Rakuten CFD cocoa product is USD denominated, but the price doesn’t exactly match the NY cocoa near month contract price. Maybe this depends on their cover counterpart too, which I believe is LMAX in the UK. Perhaps it is a blend of the near month NY cocoa futures contracts…

From here, my next move is to forget this Cocoa luck, as if it had been just a dream. I know little about the cocoa market…
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

captainspoke wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:31 am Crypto sucks.

The total value of all bitcoin is not even equal to the value of Apple, a single stock--even with its recent run-up. And apple has something like $150 billion of cash on hand besides.

So do you think it's a good idea to put all your money into something that is not even as 'big' as a single stock?

Do you know how much BTC has been lost? How about this:
Lost Bitcoin refers to BTC that the current owner can't locate, either because they forgot their private key or lost their hardware wallet device. Estimates suggest that around 6 million BTC, or 30% of Bitcoin's supply, have been irretrievably lost, amounting to $554 billion in value.
How much VOO or VT has been similarly lost? --an infinitesimal fraction of 30%, if at all.

Crypto has had a good year? If you're comparing single picks, Nvidia has outperformed it over 1, 2, and 5 year periods. So gee, why didn't you have the evangelical foresight to pick that one stock?

Have you ever heard of an NEMP? Sure, that would affect everything, but crypto would be no salvation if computers and electronic trading got toasted. And a solar blip could do the same thing, without any nukes at all.

Sorry i totally missed this post lol. Just couple of points.
1) I am a trader Im not here to shill bitcoin, I am willing to trade anything that makes me money. The fact you posted "crypto sucks" obviously you have negative feeling towards the asset. When it comes to making money you shouldn't let your feelings cloud your judgement and let the stats; potential ROI make your decision based on your risk.

2) Apple and and nvid have been around for decades. When you compare from length of time and IPO release price; Bitcoin decimates these two stocks you listed; just from a RYI perspective. From 10 cents to 74k usd? Also same time bitcoin hasn't been around that long compared to these two stocks and short amount time from now; i guarantee bitcoin market cap will surpass apple.

3) Nukes, Nuke based emps thats end of the world type scenario. SO no matter what you hold humanity would be on the brink of extinction bringing any of your investments to 0. Solar flare destroys micro chips; that would destroy all the centers with algo software that trades most of the markets.

but hey i hope your trolling me; hope you bought bitcoin when it was a few .10 cents to 3k because you will be killing it right now. There is nothing wrong having a few % in a asset to be diversified. I wish you the best in your investment journet; I have purchased bitcoin since 2017 bear market and I am killing it atm; and i know there is more upside to come
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

sutebayashi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:36 am
sutebayashi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:37 am ok, I will ignore what you said about buying a lot of futures contracts then, thanks for the clarification.

Just close the loop (for now) on my cocoa speculation - I closed my position out today.

It has been an almost relentless rise in cocoa prices over the past month, and I raised my target and stop multiple times, but yesterday’s daily candlesticks on both London and NY cocoa commodity futures finally looked toppish to me, so I just took a profit. The price was up 50% from my entry level.

I perhaps wouldn’t have been in the trade if this thread hadn’t shown up, so I am thankful for that.

More than the lucky trade, which is useless information now, what I did find quite interesting was that the daily funding cost to keep the position rolling over each day was actually very positive - I have some other positions in metals, which cost me to keep them. Cocoa recently is reverse when long - so besides the price increase there was profit too from just having the position open.

This was with Rakuten CFD, and for some reason that I haven’t been able to really understand, the daily funding cost has become increasingly positive in March. Rakuten CFDs documentation only says that they pass on what their cover counterparts give them, so the reason is unclear to me. Presumably it has something to do with the stress in the cocoa market.

Another interesting thing for me was, the Rakuten CFD cocoa product is USD denominated, but the price doesn’t exactly match the NY cocoa near month contract price. Maybe this depends on their cover counterpart too, which I believe is LMAX in the UK. Perhaps it is a blend of the near month NY cocoa futures contracts…

From here, my next move is to forget this Cocoa luck, as if it had been just a dream. I know little about the cocoa market…
thats awesome you should start your YT channel you sound like your killing it
Yutaka2024
Regular

Post by Yutaka2024 »

Just a quick update; I am trading for a firm remotely from my house; spoke to realtor from okinawa. Plan to get a few properities in mind. and i will fly down there in time