Japanese Credit Cards. What’s in your wallet?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
smalldog
Regular

Japanese Credit Cards. What’s in your wallet?

Post by smalldog »

I was wondering what credit cards the financially savvy members of this forum have? As we know points, miles and perks can be pretty lucrative if you play this game right but I’m sure there must be good options in Japan I’ve missed.

My setup is as follows - anything I’m missing, could do better? Hope the below can inspire others meanwhile.

- ANA Superfyers Gold Card - Earn ANA Miles, lifetime star alliance gold
- Marriott Bonvoy Premium Amex - earn bonvoy points (very easy to spend, unlike airmiles!), get Marriott platinum status
- Rakuten Platinum card - big multiples of points when shopping on 0/5 days on Rakuten. Makes Furusato Nozei more lucrative.
- Hills Card - free car parking in Roppongi, Toranomon, Omatesando
- Takashimaya card - free car parking in Ginza/Nihonbashi.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Japanese Credit Cards. What’s in your wallet?

Post by RetireJapan »

I have

-ANA superflyers and
-JAL global club, mainly for the airline status.
-Marriott Bonvoy premium card for Marriott status and points (most spend on here)
-Rakuten card just for tsumitate orders
-Amazon card for prime and Amazon spend
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
smalldog
Regular

Post by smalldog »

Amazon card - another one for the quiver! Shall check it out.

Like you I put majority of my spending on the Bonvoy Amex - I can earn enough airmiles from flying with the bonuses you get for having status + the superflyers card.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Just one warning about Rakuten. I have the Rakuten Gold Mastercard and had set it as my card for using Uber while in the US on a business trip last week. Rakuten flagged almost every use of the card for Uber as suspicious activity and locked the card. When I called to report that the activity was legitimate they would unlock the card for about a day and then lock it again the next time I used Uber. No matter how many times I told them in advance where I would be and whom I would be paying they repeated that process. Probably some of the worst service I've seen on a credit card. It still works fine for the Rakuten ecosystem of points for furusato nozei but I no longer rely on Rakuten cards for overseas travel.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TokyoWart wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 am Just one warning about Rakuten. I have the Rakuten Gold Mastercard and had set it as my card for using Uber while in the US on a business trip last week. Rakuten flagged almost every use of the card for Uber as suspicious activity and locked the card. When I called to report that the activity was legitimate they would unlock the card for about a day and then lock it again the next time I used Uber. No matter how many times I told them in advance where I would be and whom I would be paying they repeated that process. Probably some of the worst service I've seen on a credit card. It still works fine for the Rakuten ecosystem of points for furusato nozei but I no longer rely on Rakuten cards for overseas travel.
This happens with a lot of cards here unfortunately. Way too sensitive. My wife had an Eneos card she used for her business, and every time we tried to pay for ads on Facebook they would lock the card. Incredibly frustrating.

Ended up getting a corporate Amex instead and that has been fine.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Rakuten Premium (main card, got it for Priority pass, Tsumitate points, rakuten ichiba during marathon, points moved towards payment for rakuten mobile and remaining points to Nisa)

Another Rakuten Premium (family card with my wife)

Amazon
SMBC Olive card (some shops have high cashback)
JCB JR Express (got this through my office for shinkansen booking, hardly use it)
AMEX corporate (company card, only use it for official expenses)
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Blimey. Everyone seems to have a lot of cards. Don't you find it too much hassle to manage them all?

I just have the one - Japan Post Bank.
smalldog
Regular

Post by smalldog »

Zero hassle - whole thing is automated. I’ve arranged for all my cards to settle on the 20th and payments are withdrawn from my bank account the following 10th. Just need to remember which card you need to use for each expensive to maximise the earnings and upside.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Just a Prestia card in Japan. CBA with the hassle of min-max'ing points.
igzem

Post by igzem »

I have only one card Wise. As I have favourite hotels where I stay (views , balcony) and choose airline for convenience rather than points , this works for me well in Japan and in the World.