permanant residence "Period of stay" clarification

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
david

permanant residence "Period of stay" clarification

Post by david »

I have been married to a Japanese national and on a spouse visa for over 10 years but just never gotten around to going for permanent residency and wanted to check a criteria

>Resided in Japan for 1 year or more
>Been married for 3 years or more

I meet these two requirements

>Currently possess a 'period of stay' of 3 years or more (see #Eligibility section above).

I have a 5 year visa but there are less than 3 years on it. Does this point mean "have been ISSUE a 3 years plus period of stay on your current spouse visa" or "have 3 years or more LEFT on your spouse visa?" I assume the former but bearing in mind is a long and slow process I wondered if anyone could clarify this point?

Thanks!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: permanant residence "Period of stay" clarification

Post by Beaglehound »

Doesn't matter how long is left on visa, I applied for PR with 8 months left on my spouse visa.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

No, the visa just has to be greater than 1 year on issue.
david

Post by david »

Thank you both very much for clarifying!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:22 am No, the visa just has to be greater than 1 year on issue.
This is not correct, but the OP was quoting the correct info from the wiki. The granted period of stay has to be 3 years or greater (but the remaining time is not relevant).
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:06 am
zeroshiki wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:22 am No, the visa just has to be greater than 1 year on issue.
This is not correct, but the OP was quoting the correct info from the wiki. The granted period of stay has to be 3 years or greater (but the remaining time is not relevant).
I don't think Japan does two year visas, so same difference n'est pas? ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:48 am
I don't think Japan does two year visas, so same difference n'est pas? ;)
The length of stay is discretionary for some statuses, and is not restricted to whole years. That's why it's important to be precise with the language and not oversimplify.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

3 years is the next granted period of stay after 1 year.

You are both correct. You cannot apply for PR if they are only granting you 1 Year Periods of Stay. It has to be a 3 Year Period of Stay or Greater.

When you receive the Renewal that will take you over the Application Threshold, you can go ahead and submit your application.

It is a good idea to have at least 1 year remaining, or if not, renew the Period of Stay and then submit, as applications can take a very long time at the moment.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:49 am 3 years is the next granted period of stay after 1 year.
Only for certain statuses of residence. For others the period of stay is discretionary.