(Early) Retirement gigs

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Moneymatters
Veteran

(Early) Retirement gigs

Post by Moneymatters »

<Usual disclaimers apply>

Things are aligning that I'll manage to retire early. My partner is begrudgingly acknowledging this fact and is now simply asking what I'll do for a job once I've retired. :lol:
(We rarely produce the kind of anecdotes that would warm the pages of "da-ling wa gaikokujin"...) But I digress.

I've a decent sized list of things I want to do in (early)retirement. But those are things you plan and train for for several months then spend a couple of weeks doing. Elsewhere I’ll plow time into DIY, hobbies and online pedantry.
Aside from that I’m exploring other activities I could try that might allow some interaction. Just nothing involving desks..

I’ve already discounted basically everything a google search returns for "early retirement gigs". Consultant, Tutor, Life Drawing model, :shock: etc...

This is the list so far. Feel free to; ignore, throw shade, throw confetti, throw eggs, or share things you are doing/considering…

Volunteering
Pros: Straight into heaven. Cons: I’m not famed for my patience so I'd need to find something like yard clearing.
Retraining as a Stuntman
Pros: Stuntman. Cons: Cost of converting house to barrier free.
Forestry school
Pros: Looks fun, potential for occasional physical work. Cons: Fear of chainsaws and heights (Like, each independently. I can barely comprehend combining them.).
Welding school
Pros: Is fun/cool, potential for occasional physical work. Cons: Early endeavors have not revealed any latent talent.
Driver
Pros: I enjoy driving. Cons: Not actually sure what options exist. (“The Transporter” isn’t a real job right..).
Tour Guide
Pros: Chance to meet foreigner visitors and explain how to carry trash home. Cons: Chance to meet foreign visitors and explain how to...
Additionally, having to learn about things such as the difference between a temple and a shrine(Is there one? :? ).
Is there a rent-a-guide service in Japan for visiting B-list celebs? (I wouldn’t trust myself with an A-lister.)
A2A (Akiya to Airbnb) business
Pros: Learn as I go refurb experience. Cons: Minpaku ordinance seems to require starting a YouTube channel to share your passion. And risk of recreating the entire plot of the 1986 Tom Hanks classic, “The Money Pit”. (Considered by many to be THE seminal piece on real estate investment. And a fantasy movie by millennials.).

The last one seems to offer the most potential at this time.
"That guy"
captainspoke
Sage

Re: (Early) Retirement gigs

Post by captainspoke »

Maybe riding along and slinging trash bags into the back of a gomi truck?

My wife teaches maybe three english classes a week online/zoom, likes it and seems to do well at it (student numbers). Downside is evening/weekend hours, also something that requires some thought and planning. She set up a company for it and files the blue form, so some expenses can be written off, etc. It's been a while, but she did some bookkeeping courses some years ago, and iIRC has level 2 or something like that, which helps with the double-entry aspect, the blue form, and the Yayoi software. (if I've got all that right?)
eetc155

Post by eetc155 »

Congratulations!
One of the seasonal jobs I wouldn't mind doing when I am retired - ski lift ojisan, the ones that stand at the ski lifts with a broom to brush off the snow and usher people onto the lifts :D.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Congratulations! You should do something involving writing, as you are very good at it.

Blog introducing local area? (combine with tour guide/driver job)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Start a career as a stand-up comedian? Loved the idea of a stuntman and the barrier free home 🤣

Dog walker? Nice stress free job, apart from the shit picking I guess.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Recently I’ve been thinking it would be cool to do my own IT startup.

I am in the software field, and these days with cloud computing I figure one can go a long way by oneself.
My problem is a lack of ideas for a useful service!

Looking to change jobs to an IT startup at the moment, but one day when I get sick of working for money, and have the nest egg, that’s one thing I want to do.

If it works I could possibly sell out to some bigger organization… nice to dream… but for me the pleasure would probably be in making something good that others see value in.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Aw, come on everybody. Don't you know that it's crypto that'll make you rich?
CluelessToshika
Regular

Post by CluelessToshika »

sutebayashi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:46 am Recently I’ve been thinking it would be cool to do my own IT startup.

I am in the software field, and these days with cloud computing I figure one can go a long way by oneself.
My problem is a lack of ideas for a useful service!
SaaS ("Service as a Service") surely has potential?

Personally I'd go for something AI-related like "MaaS" ("Mansplaining as a Service").
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

CluelessToshika wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:32 pm SaaS ("Service as a Service") surely has potential?
Yes, that’s it! I’d be looking to build a SaaS on a PaaS on the cloud :)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Since you are 'that guy', I propose you use your expertise in pedantry to resolve all of the Engrish in the whole nation.
It could be both a hobby and a volunteer activity.
Someone may even pay you for this valuable service, but probably not.
Then, write a book about your adventures fixing Japan's incomprehensible English.

You are welcome.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.