(Early) Retirement gigs

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: (Early) Retirement gigs

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

I am not sure about everyone, but early retirement for me would definitely involve keeping the grey cells active, and I can very easily see myself teaching at my current university part-time, very much because I want to work and not because I have to. It is very interesting to observe all the over 60-year foreign part time teachers at my university on their motivations to keep on working, only one has to work, funnily enough he was the only who used to work full time at the university. The others including a very spritely 85-year-old with the help of a very generous Boeing pension do it to keep the old drey cells active.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I was considering retiring this year but have decided to work another year, although with a reduced schedule. During this year my hope is that I find something new to occupy my time. So far all I have come up with is doing a bit of writing, ramping up the studying and maybe photography or learning a musical instrument. I think social connections are a good reason to keep working, but as most of my work-related connections are with kids between 6 and 18 years old, I am not sure that really applies to me! My wife's main concern is what I will write on any forms that require me to fill in profession. I don't think she wants me writing 無職.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

beanhead wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:53 pm Since you are 'that guy', I propose you use your expertise in pedantry to resolve all of the Engrish in the whole nation.
It could be both a hobby and a volunteer activity.
Someone may even pay you for this valuable service, but probably not.
Then, write a book about your adventures fixing Japan's incomprehensible English.

You are welcome.
There is the kernel of a great idea there, matching the OP's 'gift' for pedantry and humorous writing. Scope for trips to other Asian countries for comparative purposes too.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:43 am Congratulations! You should do something involving writing, as you are very good at it.
I agree! I am hoping that retirement frees up Moneymatters to write more. The world keeps presenting us with plenty of the bizzare in finance among other things and it would be great to see someone do justice to the absurdities we are being fed.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:28 pm ... I think social connections are a good reason to keep working, but as most of my work-related connections are with kids between 6 and 18 years old, I am not sure that really applies to me! My wife's main concern is what I will write on any forms that require me to fill in profession. I don't think she wants me writing 無職.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Duly noted. Writing more does appeal. But I'm at a disadvantage as I think the adage is "Write what you know" (Unless in witness protection I assume).
Unfortunately this doesn't help someone that knows very little indeed...

@G&BJ,
In my situation work place relationships are the driving factor to pull forward my retirement! It's close to the point I wouldn't trust myself near a potluck table!
I am however, fully convinced Mrs Matters cares more about what the neighbors think rather than my increasingly fragile state of mind.
Obviously discussing this directly isn't an option, so I've resorted to leaving copies of "Stuntman Quarterly" on the breakfast bar. (After removing the frankly horrific "Reader's Injuries" section.. Although, in hindsight the chance of me suffering could be the thing to sell her on this..)
"That guy"
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Moneymatters wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:26 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:28 pm ... I think social connections are a good reason to keep working, but as most of my work-related connections are with kids between 6 and 18 years old, I am not sure that really applies to me! My wife's main concern is what I will write on any forms that require me to fill in profession. I don't think she wants me writing 無職.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Duly noted. Writing more does appeal. But I'm at a disadvantage as I think the adage is "Write what you know" (Unless in witness protection I assume).
Unfortunately this doesn't help someone that knows very little indeed...

@G&BJ,
In my situation work place relationships are the driving factor to pull forward my retirement! It's close to the point I wouldn't trust myself near a potluck table!
I am however, fully convinced Mrs Matters cares more about what the neighbors think rather than my increasingly fragile state of mind.
Obviously discussing this directly isn't an option, so I've resorted to leaving copies of "Stuntman Quarterly" on the breakfast bar. (After removing the frankly horrific "Reader's Injuries" section.. Although, in hindsight the chance of me suffering could be the thing to sell her on this..)
I am quite fortunate in that my wife is just as keen on the retired life as I am! She has a volunteer thing she does though, whereas I have little to occupy myself. I've got a hammock, though.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Moneymatters wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:26 am I am however, fully convinced Mrs Matters cares more about what the neighbors think rather than my increasingly fragile state of mind.
One of my Japanese friends was not allowed to put out the rubbish when working from home as his wife worried about what the other housewives in the neighborhood would think.
When working from home, he had to basically hide all day, not answer the door etc.
Bizarre values sometimes in this nation :D
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

Weddings. 12,000 yen per. Sometimes two or three a day. They prefer older types.