Apple is denying a refund on a hacked account.

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Apple is denying a refund on a hacked account.

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

I pay 400 yen a month through my credit card for cloud storage. In late December my apple account was hacked, and the hacker started draining my credit card 10,000 yen daily. At this time, I did not receive any notifications about unusual activity. I received my paper credit card bill in early February and immediately contacted my credit card company (JAL airmiles) to stop the card. They also told me to contact Apple to make them stop the hacker accessing the apple account. In total they managed to drain my credit card account of 150,000 yen.

I get in contact with Apple immediately, they said it was a Japanese hacker, and you can apply for a refund. To my utter surprise they turned me down for a refund. I apply again asking for a reason, it is supposed 'policy' they then said I should go to my bank or credit card company. I take this issue higher with a supposed 'chief advisor' and that is where we are now.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of an issue like this?

I have experienced refunds with cancelled flights during Covid and they were refunded or used as credits for future flights. However, I have never had a company that has been at fault and refused to give a refund.
Last edited by Wales4rugbyWC23 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Apple is denying a refund on a hacked account.

Post by captainspoke »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:51 am...However, I have never had a company that has been at fault and refused to give a refund.
Sorry, but I don't think apple is at fault for your account getting hacked.

Were you using an apple-generated password? LastPass, or something like that? Have you ever tried a password checker?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:51 am I get in contact with Apple immediately, they said it was a Japanese hacker. They instruct us to ask for a refund. To my utter surprise they turned me down for a refund. I apply again asking for a reason, it is supposed 'policy' they then said I should go to my bank or credit card company. I take this issue higher with a supposed 'chief advisor' and that is where we are now.

So Apple told you to ask Apple for a refund, which they turned down and then told you to go through your credit card company?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 am
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:51 am I get in contact with Apple immediately, they said it was a Japanese hacker. They instruct us to ask for a refund. To my utter surprise they turned me down for a refund. I apply again asking for a reason, it is supposed 'policy' they then said I should go to my bank or credit card company. I take this issue higher with a supposed 'chief advisor' and that is where we are now.

So Apple told you to ask Apple for a refund, which they turned down and then told you to go through your credit card company?
I have reread what I wrote and edited it, slightly on the experience, what they told me first was to apply for a refund from them, which you can do online.

Would I stand better chance with a refund with the credit card company, do you reckon?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am Would I stand better chance with a refund with the credit card company, do you reckon?
Well if Apple are telling you to go that route, I would give it a try. In my experience Japanese credit card companies are a bit stricter on chargebacks than some CC companies overseas, but it is definitely worth phoning them tomorrow (definitely tell them Apple suggested you do it).

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 am
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am Would I stand better chance with a refund with the credit card company, do you reckon?
Well if Apple are telling you to go that route, I would give it a try. In my experience Japanese credit card companies are a bit stricter on chargebacks than some CC companies overseas, but it is definitely worth phoning them tomorrow (definitely tell them Apple suggested you do it).
This is the reason that I have been using a credit card for internet payments, the idea that credit card payments are secure and safe. Let see how it evolves....
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

captainspoke wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:33 am
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:51 am...However, I have never had a company that has been at fault and refused to give a refund.
Sorry, but I don't think apple is at fault for your account getting hacked.

Were you using an apple-generated password? LastPass, or something like that? Have you ever tried a password checker?
I think my password was strong enough. I always get a notice email about my monthly icloud payments, but there was nothing from Apple about these payments until I got my paper credit card which made me aware of it.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:00 am
Good news I got a full refund through my credit card. Although I still think Apple is responsible.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:55 am Good news I got a full refund through my credit card. Although I still think Apple is responsible.
Very good news. A satisfactory (but maybe not satisfying) result :)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)